Dreaded vinyl roof rust !

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Dreaded vinyl roof rust !

Post by Garp »

So, today I had to bite the bullet and peel back the vinyl strip below the back window of the Chally, and I’m glad I did and didn’t leave it over winter.
What I found was, well, in a word ..... SOIL !!!
Whatever plant matter and water had slipped below the back trim was happily creating a fertile and unctuous bed of soil under the rear window ..... oh yeah, and rust !
Cool thing is the vinyl peeled back and I’ll be able to replace it after a bit of sanding, filler and painting.
Overall, although I have a hole of two, I believe I got there in time - had I left it over the winter I believe it would’ve been worse.
Can I fix the two holes with glass-cloth and PR15 bondo type filler? I guessing that cutting out and welding in would involve rear windshield removal?
Secondly, can anyone identify the ali’ trim piece - it had been riveted on and has a black plastic press-on cover - I don’t think they’re Chrysler products and I feel I may have seen them on a speedboat before - that’s what the last owner used and it looked fine.
Also, the retainer clips are rusted out, I know I can find more on the web, but as they were not actually attached to anything (or it had rusted away) what is the piece that holds this clip in place?
All metal has been sanded back and treated with a rust converter while I get the goodies together to repair it.
Attachments
86F36B76-12CE-41A5-B04A-AEB2BD388B39.jpeg
86F36B76-12CE-41A5-B04A-AEB2BD388B39.jpeg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
090FA4EA-21C6-4279-94C9-A3B91510E201.jpeg
090FA4EA-21C6-4279-94C9-A3B91510E201.jpeg (76.55 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
66D305F3-4465-4C69-B5EE-A2D7D69266EF.jpeg
66D305F3-4465-4C69-B5EE-A2D7D69266EF.jpeg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
8E6A1A73-7137-4C1F-B895-D39C1E47B12F.jpeg
8E6A1A73-7137-4C1F-B895-D39C1E47B12F.jpeg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Pete

Re: Dreaded vinyl roof rust !

Post by Pete »

Rear Screen is bonded in so a professional job really.
A new Dutchman panel is really the way forward, ditto new trim retaining clips.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Garp

Post by Garp »

Yeah Pete, clips are a must but to be fair, I’m trying to avoid turning this into a massive job - if I get a new panel, I may as well get new vinyl for the top which means revealing all under that roof cover - not sure I’m ready for that just yet, may have to get a standby car I can drive while I cannot drive the Challenger
:banghead:
MattH

Post by MattH »

Clips are fun! The bits that hold them are small mushroom rivets / screws that fit in whilst the screen is out, then the clips fit into the screen chrome surround and pop on. I managed to order them easily on line from the states and they came in a small jiffy bag. I can't remember the supplier but will try to find the details. They were very good. Bear in mind 70 trim clips are different to 71 on !
Also the rivets rip your finger tips easily when you're prepping the body.
New duchess panel is the proper way to sort this, you might get away with derusting and fibreglass etc for a year or so, but it will need sorting, but you may not need to replace the vinyl too.
Dave Robson years ago peeled his vinyl back, did the repairs around the edge and then put it back.
The more you peel, the more you will find, especially once you get to the roof seam on the C pillar which is a long leaded joint.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
MattH

Post by MattH »

http://www.rtspecialties.net/search.asp

This is them, they call themselves clipologists.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Garp

Post by Garp »

MattH wrote: Mon Nov 20, 17 10:32 am Clips are fun! The bits that hold them are small mushroom rivets / screws that fit in whilst the screen is out
That;s a bit of a bugger as I wasn't planning on removing the rear screen. Currently, I'm going to attempt to sort the rusted bit (might have to weld in a small patch), grind back, skim, primer and paint and then refit vinyl and trim all without removing the screen.
I agree, full roof removal will just reveal more and I have 2018 plans with the car - this will just have to be a bigger project for later.
I guess I could do the majority of the clips with rivets from inside the boot ???
perhaps a hex-headed screw I could drop in, thread and tighten up with a spanner ?
Ideas on a post card to ......
:help: