Power Steering return hose

Moderator: Moderators

RichK

Power Steering return hose

Post by RichK »

Hi all,

My '66 Satellite's power steering return hose split today. Everything on the internet shows this as being standard hose, but mine has two sizes with a metal fitment that transitions between the two. My guess is that the 45 degree return fitting on the steering box has been replaced as it looks to differ from what Rock Auto shows it should be.

Can I get a standard replacement hose or would I be better off replacing the return fitting on the steering box? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rich
Attachments
ps return hose.jpg
ps return hose.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 657 times
power steering return hose spigots.jpg
power steering return hose spigots.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Steve

Re: Power Steering return hose

Post by Steve »

Hi Rich,

I had something similar on my Polara when I first got it. I believe (and will stand corrected) that this is the low pressure return side of the system. I got some good quality rubber hose from a local hydraulic pipe supplier (they are everywhere). I got a piece that was a snug fit on the small end and put the other end in boiling water for a few mins until it softened enough to slip over the other larger end. Couple of quality stainless steel fuel pipe clips (or jubilee clips) later all sorted. Worth a try just to get you going though mine is still fine a few years on,

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
RichK

Post by RichK »

Thanks Steve,

Yes, this is the low-pressure side. It looked like such a simple hose to replace until I found out that it wasn't standard! Rock Auto appear to offer the correct 3/8" fitting for the steering box, so I've ordered that and hope that it'll allow me to fit 3/8" hose throughout.

Rich
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's good Rich, sounds like a proper fix is on the horizon,

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream