Steering box removal problem - Solved

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Steering box removal problem - Solved

Post by morgan »

Well, the new plan is leave it alone and fill it will stop-leak gunk haha.

Damn thing. Final bit to remove and I just cant get it to budge. In desperation throwing it to the masses...
Issue is pretty simple - the coupler wont come off the steering box.

Column is free. Roll pin is out. Conventional internet wisdom says 'itll slide right off'. It does not. The only thing that moves is the little UJ thing in green. I cant lever the coupler as the surface on the steering box is too soft. Grips round the body and a tap with the persuader dont help. I cant get the box out without. :-k

In seriousness it could mean a change of plan and just keep as is. Its a shame as this is the time to get to it when there is no engine (HEADERS!) in the way. But if it aint budging I'm a little stuck.

Any ideas ?
Attachments
steering.jpg
steering.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Last edited by morgan on Mon May 13, 19 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
MrNorm

Re: Steering box removal problem

Post by MrNorm »

All I can think of is that the splines are stuck due to corrosion. Heat might help....but that might damage the steering box seal?...but you are having that replaced...?
If you are fixing the box then you definitely should disassemble the coupler anyway , either to rebuild (cheap/easy) or at least inspect, clean, and regrease. So that would mean removing the metal cover (unbend the tangs) and then you could pull the column away and at least get that bit out of the equation and prove beyond doubt that it really is the splines.

At that point I guess you'd have to start strongarming it - can you put something in the way to pry against rather than the box itself? Have you soaked where the spline is with penetrant for a few days? If not I would def take that step next!!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Re: Steering box removal problem

Post by Dave999 »

the pin could potentially have mushroomed out the inner end of the hole through the splined pot coupler
i'd be wary, but a great big screw driver tapped down to get it moving might be the only method.

or someone hammered it on without cutting a master spline... in which case expect it to be stuck.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Re: Steering box removal problem - Solved

Post by morgan »

Chaps - Thanks so much. Today was turning into a grrr - but believe it or not that was inspirational.
You confirmed what I thought - nothing else SHOULD be holding it, so it was either stuck or another issue (which I would have to look at anyway).
With this new confidence I fashioned a cunning 'dont damage it' solution.

- Grips (not too tight) against the body of the UJ. The flare stops grips sliding, the grips mean minimal surface damage.
- Chisel onto the grips (not the box).
- Persuader onto the chisel.

Mein gott it began to move !! Few more taps and we were there.
Corroded is all. I am expecting to have to take it somewhere to get pitman arm pressed/tapped off but this bit I was expecting to be OK !!

Anyway. Top marks gents. Thanks.

PS - Not all the marks are me. As you might expect on a 50yr old car someones had a go before. The small fresh silver marks are me, the deeper stuff isnt.
Attachments
success.jpg
success.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 969 times
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

the other option might be to dismantle the coupler

I think: based on work on mine 10 years ago

that if you take off the steering wheel
do some digging by taking off the indicator cancel switch and a few bits and bobs you eventually mine down to a circlip round the steering shaft which you can ping out of its groove and provided the steering lock is off you can the pull the shaft up and down about an inch.

might be enough to disengage the inner part of the pot coupler from the outer....they do come apart but i have never done it as mine uses the old style rag joint and studs set up. Achieves the same flexibility using a circle from an old pair of jeans glued into a rubber sandwich and some shiny bits

if the box top is too soft for screw driver i think a wooden door stop wedge in the next move

Dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ah excellent you have done it

dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

pitman arm
undo the nut

box on the wall on a nice soft bit of card or some such
just balanced on the ring of the pitman arm on something hard and unforgiving
big rock or brick or stone or your panel beating wedge or the table of a vice under the ring of the pitman arm
hit it (the ring section) with hammer
then apply bearing pullers and do it again and again and again and again doing up puller a smidge each time

then it comes off

the aim here is not to bust the box or take lumps out of the sector shaft

Nice

same method works for all the rest...steering link et al

Dave
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

:thumbright: :thumbright: Another one bites the dust!!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here