Front and rear screen sealing

Moderator: Moderators

kma176

Front and rear screen sealing

Post by kma176 »

Anyone any ideas on sealing the screens??
After bonding the screens in place there is a gap between the edge of the screen/bonding and the aperture ! I reckon once the trims are on it will be a water trap and the water will just lay in there.
Factory leave this gap as far as I can find out!! The windscreen guy has suggested soft sealer then fit the trims - a bit messy but would also hold the trims in place better?
Any input/experience would be appreciated.
Regards
Kev
Pete

Re: Front and rear screen sealing

Post by Pete »

If you put them in as per factory, they will leak (a lot!!!).

I had to bite the bullet and use silicon or similar to seal it all fully.

I went one stage further and siliconed the trims to the body as well to prevent any water traps.

If you take your time you can do it very neatly and it is not too obtrusive.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

I'm pretty sure the factory procedure was to use the butyl strip tape (to hold the windscreen in place, somewhat at least!), and then add some sealer in the gap (to seal against interior leakage?) I don't know how much and what type. On balance I think using a modern urethane adhesive is a better route, but in theory either route should be able to direct water around the gullies and out underneath the bottom trim. So I'd favour making sure that the water has a smooth path with no pockets to get caught in. Alternatively fill the entire gaps, but that will make getting trim off etc difficult and also I would think is still no guarantee of not having a water pocket somewhere.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Thanks for coming back
I have tried putting some water on the screen and it just sits in the corners and goes nowhere so I think I will have to go with sealing it under the trims!!