Twisted steering pump

Moderator: Moderators

XenonJohn

Twisted steering pump

Post by XenonJohn »

Hi all,
Have just acquired a '65 New Yorker with a 413 engine.
When I look down at the steering pump, the pulley seems to be at a slight angle relative to the belt (see photo).

The mounting and brackets for the pump seems to be fine, nothing broken, no bolts missing.
Also some evidence on hoses in the area of something leaking (slight amount of fluid on them) but car has no oil leaks, does not drip anything on the floor. Pulley itself is dry as is the belt.

The pump is working although a bit noisy at full lock.

My question is, has anyone seen this before? Is the pulley at an angle simply because the pump or its bearings are shot - is that how it looks when that happens? or, do the actual mountings themselves bend?

Am thinking of replacing the steering pump especially as there might be a slight leak going on. Just wondering if this is how it looks when it fails, as I have not had one fail before.

Thanks.

autofetish

Re: Twisted steering pump

Post by autofetish »

Pictures don't work >???
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
XenonJohn

Re: Twisted steering pump

Post by XenonJohn »

I think I have worked it out, twisted pump mount is a common problem. Pump needs to come off anyway as leaking fluid everywhere I think from the big O ring seal, also a common fault. Better than an oil leak though I suppose.