windscreen washer bottle and motor

Moderator: Moderators

Valcuda

windscreen washer bottle and motor

Post by Valcuda »

I accidentally leant on my windscreen washer bottle and cracked it at the bottom--all the water gushed out. I doubt if the crack is sealable by glue so I need a new bottle. But how do I get the electric pump motor off? The manual says, use a deep socket poked in from the mouth of the bottle. It has to be deep enough to clear the filter protruding into the bottle. Has anybody in the club ever done this? The manual says the socket would be 7/8" or 15/16" but I can't tell, my sockets are standard depth and won't reach (because of the filter). Where would I get the right socket that's long enough?

It's not the dismantling so much that is the problem because if I get a new bottle, I can break the old one apart. But I still have to fit the motor to the new bottle (I assume they don't come ready fitted).

Or is there a recommended bottle/motor unit from a British car that I could just bolt onto the inner wing? I'd rather not use this option, but if all else fails......

Thanks for your ideas, guys.
1969 Valiant Barracuda (/6 from South Africa)
Stu Twin

Re: windscreen washer bottle and motor

Post by Stu Twin »

Hi 'Val'
I would have done this many years ago, and i don't have a set of especially deep sockets.
From memory i think it's only a plastic nut and rubber washer on the inside. So you may get away with just poking some long nose pliers down the opening to stop the nut rotating, while you turn the pump underneath to tighten.
Unless something like a spark plug socket fits, which should be deep enough?
.... just a thought.
Valcuda

Re: windscreen washer bottle and motor

Post by Valcuda »

Hurrah, all sorted.

Long-nosed piers wouldn't do it but you gave me a clue! Thanks. Not a spark plug socket, but a box spanner. I suddenly remembered buying some large ancient box spanners from Beaulieu Autojumble many years ago, and I found them today at the back of my workshop. One happened to have a 7/8" end, so with a 1.25" socket at the other end of the spanner, I managed to unscrew the filter unit/nylon nut and get the motor off. So I'm all ready for a new bottle! Cheers.
1969 Valiant Barracuda (/6 from South Africa)