Power Steering Seal?

Moderator: Moderators

polosteve

Power Steering Seal?

Post by polosteve »

On 600+mile drive down France in the summer I had a significant amount of oil down the side of the van :shock: :shock: It came from the drivers wheel arch area which is exactly where the steering box is, it must have come from the steering box and it seemed like ATF, difficult to tell, it was raining and at night.

Since then I have found a small amount of ATF in the top of the steering Box where the steering column goes in, however sometimes it is bone dry. I ordered the seal a while back for the very top where the worm shaft meets the steering column coupler - Picture below.

Today I have some ATF sitting in the top, see the photo, the shop manual seems to think that with the box left in place I can lift up the steering column and remove the seal/press in a new one with it still in the van.

I am going to give it a go, I don't have the special tool to remove the old seal. I have a Bananarama! screw driver that will hopefully leaver out the old seal (Whilst destroying it but hopefully not anything else).

Does my approach seem sensible?

This is the oil found today - Could it be coming from anywhere else other than that seal?

Any advice appreciated :thumbright:
polosteve

Re: Power Steering Seal?

Post by polosteve »

I stopped avoiding it and it went fine.... the rusty hook screwdriver removed it no problem.

Hopefully thats the leak fixed, time will tell,
Dave999

Re: Power Steering Seal?

Post by Dave999 »

glad it went well

i can't see your photos.... probably something on my work network is blocking them..

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying