Recommendations to strip paint on grained metal

Moderator: Moderators

MrNorm

Re: Recommendations to strip paint on grained metal

Post by MrNorm »

Thanks. As it turns out the professional stripper I posted hardly touched it.... :roll: You could tell from smelling it that it wasn't the good stuff - or they shipped me a stale batch. I've not had time since then to try, so will give blowtorch a go next week sometime, good suggestion (I already tried a heat gun to no avail)
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you could always try brake fluid

dot 3 removes the paint you don't want it to.... so it may well work when you do...

keep it and use it later to restore your window rubbers etc . it chemically re links and re generates the long hydrocarbon based elastic-y molecules in parched and perished rubber and then the rubber swells back to its original "tooled" shape right down to a visible part number in my case....

takes 1 week and the thing needs to be pressed flexed and bent about a bit each day to get the DOT 3 into the pores ( use gloves)

also works on the rubber idler wheels for jukeboxes and record players, which is what i used it for

wash the thing when done and talc it and if its a window rubber repair any rips with superglue and hide the join with black mastic or silicone

sorry off piste again but Ive been experimenting during lock down

one week was "Things to do with elderly bottles of dot 3" that i never quite finished using in 1997. naturally i accidentally removed some paint in my quest to restore a bit of 1960s Record changer rubber. hence the mention here. if i can do it accidentally..a deliberate soak and agitation in the stuff might see you right with no metal damage...

just making up for my previous suggestion :)

this last week was mixing superglue and baking soda to create rock hard indestructible plastic-y stuff, but i have no use for it yet, but it would certainly work as a filler re builder for bits of plastic dash, arm rest bases etc. you can sand it and file it.

i might try that next........ :)

although i heartily agree for your task, the blow torch will probably work :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Good tip on the window rubbers Dave! I'll have to try that.