Power Steering Pump Compatability

Moderator: Moderators

LurkinLimey

Power Steering Pump Compatability

Post by LurkinLimey »

Hi Everybody,
Will a stock power steering pump and brackets from a 440 fit a 383?
Is the pulley the same?
Guessing it will swap, but though I'd check.
Looking to replace an aftermarket setup on my '68 Satellite and a 440 set has come available.
Thanks for any help.
Limey
Steve

Re: Power Steering Pump Compatability

Post by Steve »

I'm almost 100% sure they are the same on the 383 and 440. Think the pulley may be solid. Mine was buckled so I picked one up that had been on a Jensen. It was the 3 spoke type off a 440 (mine 383). I just ran a piece of string around all the pulleys and went to Halfords and found a belt that had the correct internal diameter.

If you have to pull the pulley off, use a puller that gets it off from the centre of the output shift and not the edges or it will buckle.

Also, check that the rear bracket that bolts to the saucepan section of the pump is the correct one. If it isn't, it will leak. I used one of those metal washers with a rubber insert to be 'belt and braces' as just a fraction of a degree off flush is enough for it to leak.

One of the more experienced members will be along shortly to confirm. Let me know if you need a pic of my set up and I will sort for you.

Worth noting that there are 3 pumps, Thompson, TRW and Saginaw. To further muddy the waters, I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. I changed like for like when I replaced mine. I have read somewhere that Thompson is TRW so maybe only 2 but again I'm not sure.

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is what I have on my 68 383...
Attachments
mancini-racing-big-block-hemi-trw-power-steering-pump-brackets-17.jpeg.jpg
mancini-racing-big-block-hemi-trw-power-steering-pump-brackets-17.jpeg.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

My pulley was buckled but put one of these on....
Attachments
mancini-racing-big-block-saginaw-power-steering-pump-brackets-27.jpeg.jpg
mancini-racing-big-block-saginaw-power-steering-pump-brackets-27.jpeg.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
LurkinLimey

Post by LurkinLimey »

Wow!
Thanks Steve - had really given up on getting any help on this, so Thank You so much for the info.
Had my motor tuned, fuel system upgraded and timing set and the old PS pump finally disintegrated, so car has been laid up since.
Should now hopefully be able to get the old heap back on the road.
Limey
Steve

Post by Steve »

My pleasure Limey. I'm no expert but there are guys on here who really know their stuff and will be able to correct anything I've got wrong. I can only comment on my experience through a bit of reading up and trial and error. I always think if those guys in Cuba can fix anything with no parts then we should be able to muddle through too :D

Good luck getting the car sorted out, sure you will get there and have a bit of fun along the way!

Cheers Steve :thumbright: