Rear leaf springs

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Rear leaf springs

Post by Stu »

Got a set of A body rear leafs that I bought about 15 years ago, can’t remember why, but have a funny feeling they might have been super stock springs.

Question is… how do I tell what I’ve got? #-o

Having a clear out, so need to decide whether to use them or sell them. Barracuda is looking sunk at the back on its flat springs, but don’t think raking the back up in the air would do much for the look, given how rusty the rear quarters are. :roll:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Re: Rear leaf springs

Post by Dave999 »

can't help with that

but i can say once you put something in there that actually springs...rather than flobs about...you won't go back to the saggy baggy

getting my odd-length Aussie set re arched and then rebuilding them was money well invested

blue says they look like bits of string and i should get some proper ones...which is a fair point, comparison between my standard and his Not so standard springs make mine look like airfix parts-support plastic ..... In your case i'd be hanging onto the best set and fitting them as necessary

if too high lowering blocks are cheap

saves a couple hundred getting the others rebuilt once you get fed up with dragging the arse end about and clattering over speed bumps

low at the back makes it really hard to set the front up with some positive castor, and having the front set to standard height really helps with handling and understeer on rough surfaces, of which there are many.... no fun going straight on, on Shropshire country roads as most of them appear to be bendy and have grass growing in the middle

you can only do that if the back is at standard height

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu

Post by Stu »

Cheers Dave.

I suppose my thought was that if they do turn out to be Super Stock, do I keep them and fit them, or sell them and use the funds towards getting the originals that are in the car retempered.

:-k :read2:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

well i guess there is a chance if they are superstock that they could be 30 years younger than the ones on the car... or not

probably a case of fit and see whcih looks best

superstock springs will have a part number and will definitely be more arched which may not help going round corners

by the look of things
i found it on the net

Designed to control torque roll, providing equal bite on rear wheels through limited axle windup. These springs don’t lock up the rear, but allow it to move, keeping the tires on the track where they belong. The rear springs listed below have a 20" front segment and require a longer front spring hanger bracket for B-, E-, F-, J- and M-Bodies (not included). Standard hanger brackets used on A-Body. With P3412002–03, the rear eye in frame is moved forward; Pinion Snubber is recommended. If using P4120863, vehicle will not be level at standstill.
4120863 right-2800lb car weight-pro gas
4120864 left-super gas bracket car
3412002 right -original 1968 hemi ss
3412003 left- use on modified cars and all race hemi ss. Requires rear shackle relocation on B body cars.
3690456 right- 3400lb car weight
3690457 left-including 1964-65 ss B- body
3690454 right-3800lb car weight
3690455 left- B- body
4120865 right-3300lb
4120866 left-E-body(barracuda-challenger) requires rear shackle relocation on B-body.
3690460 right-3600lb
3690461 left- E-body(barracuda-challenger) requires rear shackle relocation on B-body
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu

Post by Stu »

:thumbright: Cheers Dave.

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Stu, it’s not a big job to fit them, has no bearing
on the lower quarters. As long as the chassis is good where each end of the spring hangers bolt on, you’re fine.
Probably look much better too.