Upper control arm advice!

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Re: Upper control arm advice!

Post by Blue »

Interesting, not seen those long ball joints before Dave, wondering about trying a pair on the Barracuda.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yeah i wish i'd known when i did my front end 2 years ago

seems to be a product for circle track racers dunno if that means nice and robust or flimsy has hell makes me think of midget racing i'll have to look up what circle track means in US parlance... track obvious type of machine is not....

I toyed with the spaced out lower joint idea but thought it would make steering heavy by basically widening the track moving the stub axle outwards..
you see the aussie historics run with so much negative camber they look like they have spent too much time in japanese car park. I presume a combo of spacers or custom stubs and lower arms are used.. too much like hard work and no good on the street.

BUT slight adjustmnet to the top....well wheel stays in the same place you just pull in the top of the stub slightly so it can be pushed back more on the adjusters for + castor before you hit neutral camber.... seems like a win... provided your car was welded up by a bloke with a tape measure and 2 eyes any slight mismtach between sides get pushed further into the long grass, one side is always the limit. this moves the limit a smidge

only spotted em a few weeks ago... potential chritsmas pressie fodder.... :)

i like the idea of a rebuildable joint. once the body is in you never need to take it out again avoiding upper arms thread problems

haven't found anyone complaining about quality, QA1 been around a long time, and as you get to set the tension on the ball. you can have nearly zero resitance to turning at the top joint. if it gets sloppy do the adjuster up.

belive standard and aftermarket balljoint seals fit for steet-ability

nice

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

MMmmmmmm looks like stock cars on cinder or clay in the southern states and midget raceing in the north

motor car equivelent of speedway

id suggest robust then.... and useful for going round corners

i can't work out if this kind of thing rasies or lowers the roll centre,

only issue i can think of is the upper arm when resting on the full droop bump stop may now allow enough travel to bind up the lower joints stud into edge of socket. taller upper arm bump stop maybe necessary.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying