TetraBoost - Anyone used it?

Moderator: Moderators

Prothed

TetraBoost - Anyone used it?

Post by Prothed »

Has anyone used this fuel additive which says it contains actual tetraethyl lead -

http://tetraboost.com/tetraboost-e-guard-15/

Reassuringly expensive...
The can has an impressive number of safety warnings...
Dave999

Re: TetraBoost - Anyone used it?

Post by Dave999 »

well as the lead was an additive anyway i guess it does what i says on the can

instead of a batch getting a 1/4 tonne of additive at the refinery a tank is getting a few grammes... but at least the refinery knew what else they had added to the mix.

and you still have fuel with ethanol in it unless you buy the super stuff from BP

however

1) does your car have hardened seats on the exhaust side? many US states went lead free in 1972 so it might in which case you are probably ok
2) does you car have stainless valves? if so they don't microweld to cast iron seats like standard steel valves so valve seat recession is massively reduced
3) even if bog standard the valves and seats have work hardened over 50 years and millions of impacts, are you likely to do enough drving to make any noticeable difference. put 65K miles on it in 3 years...yes but 6.5, 650, 6500, miles on it in 3 years no.

valve seat recession is basically caused by the seat sticking, micro welding, to the valve, a layer getting removed by the valve which is subsequently hammered and burnt off its edge. mainly a problem on the exhaust valves. less likely on the intake which are cooled by the incoming mix
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

Im with Dave on the lead memory and small miles we do these days, HOWEVER, my son Jack runs a Green Goddess which is 5 litre petrol straight six and needs LRP and has only done 4000 miles from new, so we are strict on putting in a lead replacement with the fuel as it has not done enough miles to build up lead memory. No sure what brand he is using at the moment.

Mind you it has done alot of running whilst standing still, just pumping when Chichester flooded in 1992/3.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

Yes, I'm not worried but I was given some so might use it - although it does say not to mix it with any other LRP additives...