Cool, man... (water pumps)

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Cool, man... (water pumps)

Post by morgan »

So I decided to fit a new water pump following a chat with the twins at xmas.
I have always suffered from 'traffic panic' a little. Now my first 440 I ran for ages on a 22" rad (recored, but still a 22) and a rubbish fixed fan and no shroud. It behaved 99% of the time but I did boil over once going into Harpenden (like 30 mins stationary). So it didnt like traffic basically. I swapped to a big 26" ally rad with a shroud but it could still get warm.

When I fitted the warmer 440 (which came without a water pump as the casting was needed for a numbers match engine) I swapped the pumps over, installed the rad, shroud, bigger viscous fan etc. All good. BUT (on admittedly a hot day) it did get hot in traffic to the point where I had to abort and let her bubble over. Anyway - given that my cooling system is all big-and-top-notch I assumed my problem was in the timing and the unwrapped ceramic headers. A chance conversation with said twins made me think of something else - the water pump. It only happens when stationary (idle) and the problem followed from mild-hot engine and is seemingly independent of the rest of the cooling system.

Flokool pumps are supposed to double the flow rate, pair with a high flow thermostat and they can (unrestricted) drop 30 deg from stock.

So today I decided to start pulling it all to bits and changing it. Thought the internals may interest you all.
Ignoring the crud on the old one - Look at the difference in the pump ! The blades fill the hole now and the gaps are really small round the edge compared. I can see why this moves it round. Lets see if it does the trick... Cant hurt !

Old vs new -
Attachments
IMG_2007.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Derek

Re: Cool, man... (water pumps)

Post by Derek »

Interested in the outcome of this Morgan, keep us posted please, just another thought, how is your thermostat, if it's not opening all the way it could give you problems too.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
MattH

Post by MattH »

That does look like it will move alot more coolant, as you say blades right across rather than a cake mixer.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
three counties

Post by three counties »

thanks for posting this morgan,i have had the same problem as you,regarding the engine running hot in traffic,will be intrested in any updates you may have
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

Yes I was wondering if this might be a worthwhile upgrade... could there be negatives in that the coolant might not spend long enough in the radiator to cool down?...there must be an equation of some sort :scratch:
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

morgan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 20 5:19 pm A chance conversation with said twins made me think of something else - the water pump. It only happens when stationary (idle) and the problem followed from mild-hot engine and is seemingly independent of the rest of the cooling system.
Interesting as i had a similar issue with mine a while back (also a fixed fan car).
Albeit a small block.
All new Ali radiator without trans cooler capable of 500hp (three row).
Put a mech coolant temp with capillary in to monitor the actual running temp.

Mid summer at around 30 degrees and sat in traffic, the temp would slowly rise past 200 deg.
Idles at around 600 rpm when hot.

Interesting thing is if i put it in neutral and feather the throttle at around 800/900 rpm, the actual temp drops.
I have no shroud and with the big ole scoop on the front, when moving, it cools very quickly.

I put this down to the fact that the fan speed needs to be at a certain level to get the draw through the radiator.
At warm idle this is too low to pull through the fins and basically the radiator has no air flow.

Luckily for me i tend to stay away from really busy roads and under 28 degrees ambient temp, the car can idle all day with no issue.
Benefit of living in the UK.......These days are few and far between and usually happen Monday to Friday when sat at work!
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ignoring the manufacturers claims which being American are liable to be total cobblers, the modern impeller design can only move water more effectively. I also only use Mr Gasket high flow thermostats, I believe they keep the temperature more constant due to the higher flow rate when they open.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

I did buy a high-flow-rate thermostat to go with it. $18 as opposed to $3.50 ! (the thermostat does seem to be fine by the way, rock steady 185degrees as soon as you are rolling). But then once you are off idle even the old pump moves it I suppose.

I'll get it fitted, I need to find someone to tune the carb for me once and for all and we'll see how we go.

PS - Dave80 600rpm idle - no chance. This thing barely runs until you get to 900-1000 !

morgan

Post by morgan »

OK sportsfans, water pump is in.
Its difficult to tell at the moment how effective it is, but all I can really say is that it sat there and idled for 20 minutes and I could see via the digital the thermostat opening and closing. I didnt put the high-flow one in yet as the old one has only done 500 miles and appears to be perfect.

I wont really know if this has done the trick until the summer I suppose, but I will update at some point. Need to get car tuned now, de-stink it a bit and work out why the vac advance doesnt work. It'll all help, but this ticks something off.

On the pump itself, went in first time. Really snug fit for the impellers but doesnt foul, all bolts lined up, even got the viscous fan coupling through the pulley first time TWICE (twice bacause I fitted it and forgot the shroud first time DUH! ) and given how frustrating getting the fan bolts in can be I was really chuffed. Looks a well machined bit of kit.
Attachments
thermo.jpg
thermo.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Pete

Post by Pete »

Well done, lets hope you have made some progress..
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Good to see it went in ok Morgan, hopefully get ours in soon too :thumbright: