mechanical fuel pumps

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

mechanical fuel pumps

Post by pete walton »

I am doing my best to keep things stock and would like to use an upgraded mech fuel pump on my engine with the crossram set up ....i do not want to go the fuel cell and electric pump route so question is will a mech pump do the job from a stock fuel tank ???? ...engine will hopefully make no more than about 450hp on a good day ....
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Pete

Re: mechanical fuel pumps

Post by Pete »

Hi Pete.

Bigger Fuel line (Including Sender into the Tank) with Filters and a big Carter Mechanical Fuel pump, and you should be OK

Check the Push Rod length before you bolt it all together, they are prone to wear and will give a reduced Fuel delivery.

Hopefully you will be able to avoid Regulator - time will tell.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete

Post by Pete »

Better Yet, install a Sump in the Tank (you can buy the piece) and it saves messing around with the Sender unit.... guaranteed to prevent fuel starvation on acceleration.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

1/2" sender, 1/2" fuel line, Edelbrock 1723 mechanical pump, Holley regulator with 3/8" lines to the carbs with a filter on each line, job done. Edelbrock say you don't need a regulator but in my experience you do.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 21 8:03 pm 1/2" sender, 1/2" fuel line, Edelbrock 1723 mechanical pump, Holley regulator with 3/8" lines to the carbs with a filter on each line, job done. Edelbrock say you don't need a regulator but in my experience you do.
Blue are you thinking sump in tank as Pete says,, or the standard fuel tank pick up ,also will this set up need a return line thanks for info and advice
Blue

Post by Blue »

Personally I wouldn’t sump the tank with a mechanical pump, you won’t need a return line with this set up.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue wrote: Sat Dec 04, 21 4:55 pm Personally I wouldn’t sump the tank with a mechanical pump, you won’t need a return line with this set up.
Thanks Blue ,,