Inlet Manifold question

Moderator: Moderators

Billybob780

Inlet Manifold question

Post by Billybob780 »

Hi folks,
I have been looking at fitting Fi Tech or Holley Sniper EFI to my 73 Dodge 318 Dart. I want daily drivability ( no hard starting, cutting out in traffic ) that you don't get from a carb. ( No comments about learning to tune a carb etc thanks).
From checking it appears that mine has a Carter BBD manifold and even FI Techs two barrelled system wont fit the manifold.
Has anyone done the conversion ? If so, whats the cheapest manifold I can use straight onto my 318 without putting heads etc on it. I want drivability not performance gains.

Thanks
Dave999

Re: Inlet Manifold question

Post by Dave999 »

if you have space between manifold and hood for your TB and air cleaner you can get a an adpter that changes a carter BBD pattern to holley
might need a quick wizz with the grinder if thye throttleplate size differs from a 350 holley carb....

IF thats what the problem is......! i don't know the FItech stuff

https://www.lynxauto.com.au/chrysler-8- ... y-350.html
the aussies use these to allow use of a holley 350 or 500 where a carter BBD used to sit

easiest option might be to look up Trev Dorrington on MMA or UK MOPARS facebook and send him a message
helps if you can send him an outline of each gasket as well.

he made me an adapter to run a carter/edelbroack 4bbl sideways for mine (east west rather than the normal North south orientation) it being a six having 2 massive secondaries biased to the front 3 cylinders made no sense to me , recipe for untuaneable, rear 3, so i set it up with them farthest away with the primaries closest

what arrived was a nice ally plate drilled counter sunk tapped studded with some interesting vibration safe lock nut fixings used on planes

worked very well. slap it on with a good slug of that "NOT silicone Based" "never quite sets gasket gunk". jobs a goodun

like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363476187801

you don't pay the permatex yama bond locktite premium if you buy stuff made here.... :) this stuff semi sets with no air and does not have vinegary acid in it like silicone based stuff. good for gearboxes where you don't want wormy bits getting in the oil and blocking flow to tiny needle beraings. Tremec us similar instead of paper gaskets on their 5 and 6 speeds. stripping a t5 is a pleasure, this stuff just peels off in 1 thin sheet.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

One thing I will say, I know 3 people who fitted Fitech & all 3 of them removed the Fitech due to constant issues. 1 went back to carbs, the other 2 now run Holley EFI
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Blue

Post by Blue »

Holley Sniper has the best reputation for ease of installation, reliability and back up. Any dual plane intake would fit the bill, about £150 is average for a used one, new ones have been on back order for months.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

4 barrel may be better than 2 in this instance, my suggestion was for the 2 barrel fitech you mentioned
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Billybob780

Post by Billybob780 »

Thanks for the info. I'm going for the FiTech for couple of reasons. 1/ The stockist is near to me and they are a registered Fitech dealer. ( ease of contact if and when there are faults ) also warrantee will be easier to sort.
2/ They are offering discount ......!!!
Sofar they have responded to all my questions. They have supplied a Mr Gasket kit to convert the manifold fitting as Mr. Gasket 1937MRG
I'll agree the Holley sniper is good but, no one is a stockist here.