sparkplugs for 440

Moderator: Moderators

autofetish

Re: sparkplugs for 440

Post by autofetish »

After thousands and thousands spent across 3 different dyno tuning event.

I have officially decided the only plug to run in any Petrol engine regardless of tuning level is this !

Denso VK22

We have had oscilloscope watching the flash in slow mo !
Attachments
91978964-9F2A-4C7F-B639-02573860640B.jpeg
91978964-9F2A-4C7F-B639-02573860640B.jpeg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Blue

Post by Blue »

They ought to be good at over £8 a plug! I'm sure I read somewhere that you are just wasting your money on platinum/ iridium plugs designed for clean burning hot running modern cars in our old engines?
I would be interested to hear what you've deduced and why the Denso plug rates highly in your opinion.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Yep there silly money

But they do work !

The charger is running full EFI and electronic spark control

Basically you have to set every parameters with your inputs being Lamda and torque.

I run a staged full injection system with 8x 350cc injectors up to 2800rpm and then 8x 550cc phase in. There is no map to download and not many baselines to start with so was all very trial an error. These plugs didn't like being rich at all and fouled up immediately. We could only use once the map was 90% correct.

During the tuning on a Dyno we kept finding clinders missing and with Knock sensor on each cylinders and temperature props monitoring. We ended up connecting 8x high speed oscilloscopes to each spark lead / block which allowed us to basicly watch the spark in real time in slowmo.

We found using other more standard plug we where blowing the spark out. I laughed and didn't believe it hence the dyno sessions turned into a spark plug testing session.

Once the map was stable we installed these VK22 which intern allowed us to produce more torque for a given RMP.

The spark Amplitude on the oscilloscope was noticeably larger.

Now to be honest this is a boosted car and to be honest it's hard to notice anything with so much power driving about.

I also run a highly tuned 1.4cc K11 N/A making around 120bhp I thought nothing to lose and stuck 4 in this. With 120hp and 800kg you notice everything.

I also maintain a Db5 4200cc straight6 3x45 Webber for a dear 73 year old friend. 6 plugs later he said it so much better what did you do to the carbs.

Are they going to last a million miles no do they black up and missfire at little to easily yes.

Is it the cheapest thing I have done to the K11 to make it go faster yes !

I have a spare set I can bring to nats stick them in and if you don't notice the difference I will buy you beers all night.
The closer you are to death the more alive you are