sparkplugs for 440

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Post by Pete »

I do not rate Champions (Others will disagree...) I had loads fail in road going motors - both electrical and mechanical - I switched to NGK's and have never had a failure....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

I used BP7ES on iron headed 440 at around 10.2:1 with big cam...race only, found these worked slightly better over 6's with a lot of fuel going in on my set up, never had a problem whether on mtr or on 175hp squirt.

Used 6's on the 340ci with 250hp squirt..not a sign of a tipped plug ..perfect.

If your running an MSD 6 or 7, don't go massive on plug gaps as some will suggest, keep it down to around .30 thou.

Les
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Les, Why do the suggest such huge gaps...i think my compression was blowing them out with a 50+ thou gap as suggested ????

I went back to 30 and no probs :thumbright:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

I think its was mostly just advertising splurge Steve, remember pictures of a big massive spark on the ad.....theory being that a big longer duration spark will ignite your mixture better, not technically incorrect...but not quite reality as we know in all applications

Les
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Bigger gaps are OK if you have the extra Zap to bridge the gap & ignite the fuel.

Same as the rest of motor, they are only guidelines & you need to adjust accordingly to suit your own particular engine . . .
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Mick

Post by Mick »

plug heat range is very important when gapping, i was running too colder plugs and closed the gap fairly tight but now i think the heat range is about right but i still run around .035 with msd.
I use the v power non- projected NGK's, although, i prefer the Autolite equivalent but they are more expensive.
Mick
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Indexing the plugs also helps...only you'll probably need more than one set or some plug indexing washers
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

An NGK plug has a broader more flexible heat range spread in any one given plug number over most other makes, thats why they work so well straight away and give no problems.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Les, what NGK plug would you suggest for my stock 383 4bbl (68).... May just try some out of curiosity next service....

Cheers Steve
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It would be XR4 or XR5. Being a stock motor and lower compression I would thing probably the XR4 as the part finder suggests.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thats great Dave, thanks as always for your advice on this!will try those next service (Spring now)

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

As Steve said.......Great page for info! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
db

Post by db »

I'm about to swap to NGKs, my current plugs are Bosch FR8DC0 (360, Indy heads, 10.5:1.)

According to here...
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com ... _PN/FR8DC0

...NGK equivalent is BKR5E.

Is that ok or should I go to 6 or 7?
No-one will believe you...
Pete

Post by Pete »

5 sounds low...go for 6!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God