Bulkhead Connector Bypass Step by Step

Moderator: Moderators

XP29

Post by XP29 »

After sitting overnight I just put the meter on the battery, it's reading 13.05v. Going to start it in a bit and see what output is.
1966 Charger, 383 4bbl, 4 speed manual trans, Sure-grip, original paint.
SJH

Post by SJH »

I think 13V is too high for a 12V battery. 16V charging is too high, it should be regulated to 14.5V. The 16V unregulated charging is damaging the battery I think

Shayne
XP29

Post by XP29 »

After getting readings all over the place on Sunday, ending with it seemingly not charging I have taken the alternator to a local place to be tested, they said it was shot. So I'm replacing that, I have a solid state regulator already on the way over. So should be all good with those.

Is there a way of me testing the wiring/circuit that runs to the regulator and alternator. As I've unplugged the bulkhead connector to fix the ammeter circuit, I'm wondering if there is or I've created an issue there. If I start it up and ave voltage at the regulator am I all good?
Pete

Post by Pete »

XP29 wrote: ......Is there a way of me testing the wiring/circuit that runs to the regulator and alternator. As I've unplugged the bulkhead connector to fix the ammeter circuit, I'm wondering if there is or I've created an issue there. If I start it up and ave voltage at the regulator am I all good?
If you have a simple multi-meter and know how to use it, then it is a pretty straight forward affair to test the loom out.

You are not only looking for continuity for the wires, but you also need to test for short circuits - either between the wires themselves, or the wires and ground (earth).
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
XP29

Post by XP29 »

I do have a meter, need to get my head around the wiring diagram. Want to satisfy myself the wires going through the bulkhead are ok after it's been disturbed.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

You've probably got this but it shows the wires and colours too.
Wiring to alternator is very straightforward.

http://www.mopar1.us/charge.html
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Thanks for that. I need to get under the dash and test the continuity of cables from ign switch to regulator and ballast resistor so I know my taking the bulkhead plug off hasn't disturbed something.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I'd fit the new parts and do a regular voltage check. Hopefully the new parts will remedy the problem if you already know the alternator is shot
XP29

Post by XP29 »

New alternator is on, just waiting on the regulator. Using the wiring diagram I have tested out all the associated wiring in the engine bay and all is ok. Going to try and test out the cables from bulkhead to ign switch tomorrow. Then wait on the regulator.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

New solid state regulator arrived today, looks great as its stock in appearance. Put it on and I'm now getting a steady 14.8v while it's running.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

:thumbright: That's it. :lol: :lol:
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Looks ok too, I'm not a massive purist but it blends in well.

XP29

Post by XP29 »

Is it right I should be getting 14.8v all the time when the engines running? Been for a good hour plus run today and it's still measuring that.
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Can anyone help with my readings to let me know if all is well please?

I'm getting 14.8v while it's running, but that's even after a good run, it's constantly around 14.8v. From looking around that figure is borderline to when the battery could be gassing?

When switched off and rested it drops to 13.1v, that's even after sitting for 18 hours.

Should the running charge voltage be a bit lower? Should it drop when the battery is charged and not stay at 14.8v after an hours run? The battery is a newish (year old) Varta. Am I worrying over nothing or could the battery be damaged from the previous faulty alternator/regulator?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Im not an expert but have a feeling that the voltage you are reading is fine but sure someone will be along to clarify.

Few bits here about voltage.

http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewtopic ... ht=voltage
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.