For those determined to use an electric fan

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

For those determined to use an electric fan

Post by Blue »

Came across this today, an electric fan solution that might actually work! Comes at a price and you'd better have a high output alternator, plenty to read and look at here,
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... ost6953270
Last edited by Blue on Sun Jul 13, 14 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thats one big fan and it does seem to do the job well
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Stick it over the carb and use it for a supercharger. :lol:
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Over heating with two fans was a big problem on my mates Dart

So we bought bought the Mercedes fan and moparts guys controller...

Very good, well made and quickly shipped.... all fitted and sorted easy, no over heating car sits at its operating temp setting NO problem.

You can use one of 3 preset ranges to run in, or set your own range.
we used a preset 170-190 degs....all good and stays within that range.

Thanks Blue Good find and a good recommended bloke selling them :thumbright: 8-)

Suprised the car doesn't Hover in mid air with that fan on full....JESUS !!!! :shock: 8-) :lol:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Blue

Post by Blue »

That's good, so now we know for sure what it really takes to get the job done, I'll make this a sticky I think.
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Dead good Blue....come see it at the Nats
The "Hurst-a-Like" 68 Dart
Will be with my Cuda
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
sprintgtvgus

Post by sprintgtvgus »

Why are people against electric fans?

I can't really see any disadvantages unless you only have a 30 amp alternator.

I have a 60 amp den-so alternator and plan to fit an electric fan, I think it will help in traffic a lot and take less power to drive, although I appreciate it means more load on the alternator.

I am looking at a revotec fan controller and a comex fan, also supplied by revotec.
Blue

Post by Blue »

The problem is this, some people fit an auxilary fan to cool thier car because it runs hot, it dosn't really help much because they havn't addressed the real reason why the car ran hot in the first place. The other thing is other people remove the stock fan and fit an electric or even twin electric fans and they are only just or not quite sufficient to keep thier car cool in traffic. Hence the bad rep.
No matter what the advertising blurb might tell you, the aftermarket does not make an electric fan capable of cooling a large V8, you need to use an OEM item that moves a massive amount of air in comparison.
It would appear from what I've read around the net, the above Merc. fan will do the trick, it is neither light nor a cheap solution as you also need a high output alternater and wiring to suit and as the stock components will do a perfectly adequate job, it begs the question why bother? That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
sprintgtvgus

Post by sprintgtvgus »

Mine is fine at the moment save for one encounter with a big traffic jam on a hot day.

I figured that being able to run the fan independent of engine speed would be a big advantage.

Perhaps I should just consider a viscous clutch?

I am looking at fans, but some say you need 3500 CFM to cool a big block?

That means a draw of 25-40 amps minimum, not good for a 60 amp alt!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes you will need 3500 cfm or more, and they really do draw the current. I used an ally 22" crossflow rad and viscous fan combo on both my Dart and Jem's Belvedere, both with tuned big blocks, neither ran hot in traffic.
rockinpete

Post by rockinpete »

Blue wrote:Yes you will need 3500 cfm or more, and they really do draw the current. I used an ally 22" crossflow rad and viscous fan combo on both my Dart and Jem's Belvedere, both with tuned big blocks, neither ran hot in traffic.
Hi Blue, do you run the shroud around the fan, and where do they do the viscous fan's are they mopar specific ?

Got me worried now just fitted the electric fan and it's about 2000cfm :(
Blue

Post by Blue »

I've never found the need for a shroud so no I don't use one. The viscous fans are not Mopar specific as such but you do need the right depth hub. Easiest way is the buy the Mopar Performance viscous fan package, Mancini racing / Summit/Jegs should all stock it. With a mild small block if the timing is set right you might get away with it, suck it and see I guess.
rockinpete

Post by rockinpete »

Blue wrote:I've never found the need for a shroud so no I don't use one. The viscous fans are not Mopar specific as such but you do need the right depth hub. Easiest way is the buy the Mopar Performance viscous fan package, Mancini racing / Summit/Jegs should all stock it. With a mild small block if the timing is set right you might get away with it, suck it and see I guess.
Thanks, I will have a look, I am fairly sure my timing is not set right and have seen a few different recommendations. Is 34 degrees all in correct ?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes a max of 34 degrees all in is the recommendation these days. It's the initial that takes some time spent to get right, it makes a difference to idle temp. As well as smooth running.
rockinpete

Re: For those determined to use an electric fan

Post by rockinpete »

Gave up with the electric fan as it doesn't seem to move enough air, Got a Hayden short HD clutch and a 2863216 fan, put it on today and my god it certainly moves a lot of air !!!!! Will be nice to try it on the road and see what it does. :D Just got to make a guard on the top to protect my fingers now.