swapping 318 for a 360

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

swapping 318 for a 360

Post by Anonymous »

If dropping a 360 in an A body (removing 318) what extras are needed?
I,ve read that a balanced torque converter is required plus one of the 360 engine mounts.
Guy

Post by Guy »

If going the 360 route I would recommend getting one of these :-http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 0236&N=120 4294925134 4294925133 300189 as it would allow you to use any of the 727 torque covertors out there as the flex plate is balanced and not the convertor. it saves having to have the convertor balanced if you ever swap it for a looser or tighter version.

thats assuming you would be using a 727 behind the 360.

Not sure what esle you would need.
Jim

Post by Jim »

The engine mounts are different on a 360 too. Some years ago i installed a 360 into a 1970 Duster (a slant 6 car) and managed to adapt 318/340 mounts to the 360 motor (they fitted without any mods but with some spacing and one bolthole not used as I recall) it then bolted up to the slant 6 K member with out much trouble. I expect it will be easier on a 318 K member.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yea that is about it, the flexplate addresses the balance problem, and on the older model Darts you had to cut and reweld the nearside engine mounting bracket, I would think the later Dart would be the same. If you need new mounts anyway I would think Schumacher do a conversion mount for this swap.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Blue

Post by Blue »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks, chaps. Not quite sure what k member is in there as it was a 6 banger but, now has a 318.
Guy, from your reference to a 727 i suppose the 360 will make short work of the 904 box currently in place?
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you could post some pictures of where the motor mounts to the K frame, I might be able to identify it. If your 904 is in good shape then even a hot 360 shouldn't worry it too much, if it is on the way out then the 360 will Bananarama! off!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Blue. I need to get piccies organised as well as budgeting but, I will come back on this proposed swap. As for the 904, since the gears were changed to 3.23 the change from 1st to second is somewhat drawn out and then clunks into 2nd abruptly. Future problem? (I could use some more.....)
Blue

Post by Blue »

Might just need the kickdown linkage adjusting correctly Miles, that's the usual cause of that symptom, if it's not that then you may be in trouble, is the trans fluid a nice clean red colour or is it a murky brown or black? Fluid discolouration is a sure sign that the trans is slipping.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, the fluid is good and clean. There is some play in the linkage which i've got to get too yet.
Blue

Post by Blue »

That's probably it then, I'd move that one to the top of your list, the car will drive so much better once you've got it right and it might only take a couple of minutes!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll tell you what, it seems a long list!. Anyway. i've sorted out a 360 motor so it looks as if the list is about to get longer. :roll: