Timing - 440

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Re: Timing - 440

Post by morgan »

Yeah. I think I am at 'good enough'. There are bits to tweak but essentially we are there.

Next time I spend big money on the car I can see me going down the route of a nice Gen3 conversion.
Modern engine, bags-o-power, will run forever and be essentially maintenance free. I honestly think its the way to go.
I know its a purists nightmare, but I've got a couple of friends with old chevy pickups. One has a C3 corvette in it; lovely. The other has just bought a spanking-brand-new-GM-engine. Loom, ECU, engine. Turnkey.

I'm genuinely coming round to this being the way to go in the future. If there is a future.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well the rate I am going, I could end up breaking my 2006 Durango with Hemi Gen III 5.7 engine, runs fine.

Could be a good donor car for someone....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
morgan

Post by morgan »

Blimey. You are thinning the herd !
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

megajolt

not massively expensive
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

morgan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 20 9:03 am 28 all in ? Now thats a new one - everything I have read points at 34 (few swear by 36 - but I guess it fuel related).
yeah 34 is a nice rule of thumb. it more or less guarantees you will not damage anything in a car engine.. and works ok for just about everything

but that's just OK

trouble is every motor just needs what it wants, its easy to give it 34 all in and not worry, but it wants what it wants and that may not be 34*...you could build 2 with the same parts and they'd be subtly different in this respect. you want a spark timed to give the biggest push at the point where the piston has it best leverage on the crank, otherwise you are unduly battering the bottom end, or closing the door after the horse has bolted. Its different for every bore stroke rod ratio cam compression etc so being stuck on 34 total gets in the way of experimenting and finding whats nice.

in an ideal world you'd approach the situation from the other end
work out perfect initial timing and see what it does across the rev range pinned at that
if it feels flat add some mechanical advance

any book will say no more than 34 and explain why but few go into any detail on why it might be better if it was less because it gets complicated and usually involves a distributor curving machine and welding up bits of distributor and filing it back until you get an initial and a total that it likes.

i haven't seen a distributor curve checking machine on ebay for years....Krypton Tune etc so presume its a dark art now...

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying