318 LA 318 Magnum will it swap?

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

318 LA 318 Magnum will it swap?

Post by TIB3300 »

Morning all

Just a thought, :-k

I have two LA small blocks, but the Magnum engine seems to be more available in running form.

If I was to buy a 318 Magnum engine . Would all the bits swap over?
Ie inlet manifold, flywheel, bellhousing, engine mounts ect !! ??
Super Sloth

Re: 318 LA 318 Magnum will it swap?

Post by Super Sloth »

Inlet manifold is a definate no - bolts go in at totally different angles.
Don't know the answer to the other questions - still learning myself! :D
-Jon.
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Super Sloth wrote: Sat Apr 18, 20 10:29 pm Inlet manifold is a definate no - bolts go in at totally different angles.
Don't know the answer to the other questions - still learning myself! :D
cheers !
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i know nout about this...along with most other things....

however i think you can get way with mounts and bellhousing...bellhousing i'm 99.2% on

i believe the water pumps goes backwards due to some funky routing of the belt but yer starter will work and alternator might work ok

i think the water pump outlet is on a different side to the one on the LA so you will end up with funky water pipe routing if you keep the same radiator.

the block is similar or the same so i guess any bosses for mounting up the general ancillaries will be there
offset for these things will most likely be the same so belts will line up with a bit of shuggling about

magnums often come from trucks so the sump may be backwards...

there is a point on the perimeter of the sump that if you cut round it will allow you to swap the bottom round if you can weld well enough not sure if thats a 1 sump two sump or un holy matrimony of LA and Magnum sump

they were not often run with a manual box and if they were they used the press fit roller in the end of the crank boss rather than a drilling into the crank shaft with a spigot bush in it

i think some work will be necessary for the inlet....not sure if it is bolt pattern or indeed the angles

the magnum tended to be FI in later years maybe all years...
no idea if it has a hole for a dizzy?
some had roller lifters which might be nice
head layout rockers and i think oiling to the top end is different.. meaning different bolt patterns

rocker covers are specific to magnum as well

magnum is well supported by rockauto and other box shifters so you can get stuff cheap if you can navigate by part number.

i take it you are going for a 318 or 360 rather than one of the daimler chrysler metric ones from v8 jeeps etc

the overdrive/lock up converter auto that hangs off the back of them is nice 1 version uses a vacuum switch one uses the ECU for lockup/top gear, i reckon the vacuum switch version will be cheaper to deal with... the thing doesn't fit an A body or a B body easily but is essentially modelled after the 727 904 range. and in a cortina you might have to sit in the back or astride it :) what i'm saying if the motor has one you will be able to sell it to someone with a truck and no forward motion.

i could be wrong on all counts but JohnR in the club stuck a magnum and box in his Barrcuda and it works well. tunnel and rear mount surgery was necessary.

there is a mopar action feature on using a magnum as a basis for a cheap performance boost by using the "correct" heads inlet and potentially carb and dizzy.... so i'd suggest its eminently possible as a swap in LA/magnum form.

there is a foundry in NZ that makes swap over iron and alloy heads allowing full magnum short block with LA style top end..

i.e heads with Magnum block bolt spacing and LA rockers Tinware and inlet.

but i might be wrong on all of it :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

I think the Magnum has its rockers individually mounted rather than on a shaft like the LA. Inlet manifold I believe is a different bolt pattern, you can buy aftermarket manifolds with the dual pattern.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

I do look farward to your replys Dave :read2:

Thanks Guys :thumbright:

For me its a no go at the moment then :?
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Found a great site :thumbright:

http://www.magnumswap.com/

Pete

Post by Pete »

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God