Engine parts help?

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Engine parts help?

Post by TIB3300 »

Yes its me again :?

Can anyone help with some questions please?

All for a 318 LA Engine

Are all starter motors the same, auto/ manual?
Where to get one of those high torque small starters?
Best place for a stroker kit ?
Best place for a conversion set?

I will keep all my engine questions to this one post and just add them as' and when' thanks :thumbright:
Last edited by TIB3300 on Fri May 08, 20 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
graham fury

Re: Engine parts help?

Post by graham fury »

you can get a starter from real steel in uxbridge they may do the other parts you need they have quite a lot of stuff on there website
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

TIB3300 wrote: Fri May 08, 20 6:52 am

Are all starter motors the same, auto/ manual? - Yes

Where to get one of those high torque small starters? - Hausers, Real Steel, even some sellers on FB

Best place for a stroker kit ? - Really depends on what you want to do,what type of engine you want to build,

Best place for a conversion set? - Did you mean Torque Converter

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete

Post by Pete »

Most Stroker units are based on the 360 so they are externally balanced... lots of research required....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

graham fury wrote: Fri May 08, 20 9:23 am you can get a starter from real steel in uxbridge they may do the other parts you need they have quite a lot of stuff on there website
Thank you :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

mopar_mark wrote: Fri May 08, 20 9:36 am

Are all starter motors the same, auto/ manual? - Yes :thumbright:

Where to get one of those high torque small starters? - Hausers, Real Steel, even some sellers on FB :thumbright:

Best place for a stroker kit ? - Really depends on what you want to do,what type of engine you want to build,

Best place for a conversion set? - Did you mean Torque Converter

Thanks for the input :thumbright:

"conversion set"
No a gasket set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fel ... 0012.m1985
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Pete wrote: Fri May 08, 20 9:47 am Most Stroker units are based on the 360 so they are externally balanced... lots of research required....
How are the 360s balanced?

Flywheel and front dampener? Are they physically any longer with the external balancing?

"research "
Yes, but thats been the name of the game all along with this one :read2:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

mopar_mark wrote: Fri May 08, 20 9:36 am

Are all starter motors the same, auto/ manual? - Yes

Where to get one of those high torque small starters? - Hausers, Real Steel, even some sellers on FB

I dont really know, as have said .This is all new to me. :roll:

What I want is the car to sound like this

I know its a big block and that it has a 3.75 stroke where as the small block has 3.31 .I was hoping by incresing the stroke to 4in along with a cam, It would sound more like a big block :-k
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Stroking an engine to try & emulate the sound of a big block, is not really a good recipe. You could change the idle characteristics with a Camshaft change, but you will be limited on cam choice by Piston to Valve clearance, this can lead to new cam, new lifters, the list goes on & on.

For noise, maybe a better option for you would be an exhaust cut out system, which you can change engine note(open headers) with a flick of a switch.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

hi torque mini starters

you just need a mopar starter...

they are all much the same and by their nature were MINI and starters and the High torque bit is a function of the windings and the reduction gear.
they have the nose that fits into the bellhousing as standard i.e what brand x calls a heavy duty starter

so this one would do

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... B6QYJ5o%3D

starter for dodge dakota 1995 with 318 5.2 litre engine gets you a starter that fits just about any muscle car era mopar

if you are californian
Attention California Customers - WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

so don't lick the grease or drop it on your family allowance

its bolt holes are in the right place
its pinion is about 35 mm which sits it in the right place
it has a support snout that fits into the register in the bell housing

it just isn't painted bright red with lightning bolts and fancy chrome bits and it doesn't have multifit snout

this starter is converted to high torque by reseallers when they install a different OEM (Denso) armature and coils. or they use they long case motor unit on a mopar snout, from a diesel application.

if you run into difficulty with pinion size WOSP engineering in the UK can help but you won't with this on a 318 or indeed anything upto a 440 in a mopar with a US mopar bell and US mopar flywheel or torque converter ring gear.

this starter doesn't work with aussie 146 tooth ring gear applications using aussie converter flywheel and bell, where the bellhousing is in essence too small for the flywheel/converter/ring gear. they need a 25 mm pinion... or 27 (don't ask)....

and any mopar v8 sounds good, with the right pipe, due to the firing order and the positioning of the crank journals

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

mopar_mark wrote: Sun May 10, 20 7:27 pm Stroking an engine to try & emulate the sound of a big block, is not really a good recipe. You could change the idle characteristics with a Camshaft change, but you will be limited on cam choice by Piston to Valve clearance, this can lead to new cam, new lifters, the list goes on & on.

For noise, maybe a better option for you would be an exhaust cut out system, which you can change engine note(open headers) with a flick of a switch.
I am going to thank you Mark as you probably know a lot more than I do. :salute:

These are just questions ???
Is it not true that a big block sounds slower / longer sounded when pulling away, if you know what I mean?
Than a small block?

I have been looking at cams, there seems to be a few I have seen
Voodoo
Thumper

I like this sound
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Mon May 11, 20 3:27 pm hi torque mini starters

you just need a mopar starter...

they are all much the same and by their nature were MINI and starters and the High torque bit is a function of the windings and the reduction gear.
they have the nose that fits into the bellhousing as standard i.e what brand x calls a heavy duty starter

so this one would do

starter for dodge dakota 1995 with 318 5.2 litre engine gets you a starter that fits just about any muscle car era mopar

if you are californian
Attention California Customers - WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

so don't lick the grease or drop it on your family allowance

its bolt holes are in the right place
its pinion is about 35 mm which sits it in the right place
it has a support snout that fits into the register in the bell housing

it just isn't painted bright red with lightning bolts and fancy chrome bits and it doesn't have multifit snout

this starter is converted to high torque by reseallers when they install a different OEM (Denso) armature and coils. or they use they long case motor unit on a mopar snout, from a diesel application.

if you run into difficulty with pinion size WOSP engineering in the UK can help but you won't with this on a 318 or indeed anything upto a 440 in a mopar with a US mopar bell and US mopar flywheel or torque converter ring gear.

this starter doesn't work with aussie 146 tooth ring gear applications using aussie converter flywheel and bell, where the bellhousing is in essence too small for the flywheel/converter/ring gear. they need a 25 mm pinion... or 27 (don't ask)....

and any mopar v8 sounds good, with the right pipe, due to the firing order and the positioning of the crank journals
Dave
Thanks Dave

Thats what I read about the starters, but its good to have confirmation :thumbright:

Mopar V8 sounds good Best :thumbright:
Last edited by TIB3300 on Tue May 19, 20 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

No probs

i spent £36 on a starter 30 on shipping and then had pinion issues, Mine is aussie. the pinion cost more than the starter.....:) you should have no such issues.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

If you do go the Cam replacement route, you should seriously consider getting a new Timing chain set. Some of the 318’s had an aluminium gear with plastic style teeth which can strip or should I say mine stripped on my ol 318 Challenger
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

mopar_mark wrote: Mon May 18, 20 7:02 pm If you do go the Cam replacement route, you should seriously consider getting a new Timing chain set. Some of the 318’s had an aluminium gear with plastic style teeth which can strip or should I say mine stripped on my ol 318 Challenger
I have two engines both are 318, one is complete and is to be said in good order, the other engine is in bits and the one I am using for fitment.

This is the one I want to rebiuld with new internals and cam ect :thumbright: