Bad over heating problem

Moderator: Moderators

Duster1

Bad over heating problem

Post by Duster1 »

Can anyone give me any ideas or indications as to why the drivers side Cylinder head registers 30 degrees higher than the passenger side and when just sitting on drive.
The heads were removed last year and overhauled, there was no underlying issues found.
Also removed the core plugs from the front of the block and cleaned out a large amount of crap.
Also installed an oil pressure gauge.
On its first run after putting all back together, all seemed to be ok, temp sitting about 180/190.
Then the gauge goes off the scale, on getting back home and on drive, there was steam pouring from rad. Also the oil pressure would drop off during driving. The temperature got that bad that the power steering fluid foamed up.
It has a new aluminium 3 row and a 16 inch electric fan with shroud.
I did have to cut the shroud to allow the fan to sit up against the radiator core or it would have fouled on the water pump pulley.
I have just removed the heads again and nothing visible shows up.
I assume the head gaskets can only go on one way due to the locating lugs.
Also should the bottom radiator hoses have a coil inside to prevent it collapsing under load.
Any help would be appreciated, I’m not a mechanic by any means.
Andy
morgan

Re: Bad over heating problem

Post by morgan »

Sounds like either a blockage (thermostat stuck ? Blocked galleries ?) or a water pump failure to me.
That coolant aint getting where it needs to go...

Suspect fan/shroud a red herring - moving along it would stay cool with no fan or shroud at all so long as the coolant is moving round.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Although everything is or was new at time of fitting last year, but I will look into those.
I’ve heard people say that drilling a small hole in outer rim of thermostat body helps, don’t know if you’ve come across this.
In your mind do you thing I’d be better pulling the engine completely?
Derek

Post by Derek »

I would try a new thermostat before you do anyting else, drill a small hole in the outer edge if it doesn't all ready have one. it helps to stop air locks when filling up the system, yes the bottom radiator hose does sometimes have a coil inside to prevent it collapsing, does the heater get hot.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Hi Derek,
I will check the thermostat out.
We’ve never really had the heater on as the the heat from the engine always managed to warm the inside up.
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Derek
Yes I remember the heater was ok the last time I filled up as I made Sure I purged all the air out
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Good advice here already.

If the heads are off I’d also be blowing all the water galleries out with an air line.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Duster1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 20 6:58 pm Although everything is or was new at time of fitting last year, but I will look into those.
I’ve heard people say that drilling a small hole in outer rim of thermostat body helps, don’t know if you’ve come across this.
In your mind do you thing I’d be better pulling the engine completely?
Woah ! Dont pull the engine, this will be something silly and if you are lucky it will be 'quick fix in situ silly'. There is a chance (as you say) that there is a blocked gallery (which you can try flushing in situ) or a silly-gasket blocking but eliminate the easy first before pulling.

Thermostat is an easy check (or just remove it completely for a bit). Water pump should be easily checkable too. (Does it rotate ? Is the belt slipping ? Failing that, pop it out and make sure the blades turn with the pulley). As Derek says, radiator hoses, folds and creases.

Engine timing - is it really horrible or a mile out ? That can do weird things with temp (but seems extreme in this case).

There are only so many variables with this one I think. And most likely is 'coolant aint circulating properly'. Find out why. :thumbright:

Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Thanks for the advice I will start looking to see if anything comes to light.
Any ideas as to why the power steering fluid went frothy and turned bright pink or could have just been the extreme heat within the engine bay
morgan

Post by morgan »

Extreme heat can boil power steering over. (Done that ! )
I'd suggest thats a secondary symptom. Cure the cooling and chances are that will be fine.

Good luck !

Pete

Post by Pete »

Good advice, I would flush the block out as much as I could before reassembly. Remove the drain plugs if they will come out - often they don't!

Once it is back together, ensure all air is purged and remember that the Heater matrix is always in circuit regardless of the heater setting.

Look into the radiator with the cap off and slightly rev the engine and you should see increased water flow through the Radiator core, maybe someone has changed pulley and under-driven the pump....

Once running, check ignition timing as it can have a big impact on engine temp.

If it still over heats, check for Hydrocarbons in the Coolant system - you could have a cracked head or similar, check for hoses under pressure and expanding.

Good luck and all the best.

Pete
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Derek

Post by Derek »

Pete wrote: Fri Jun 05, 20 2:34 pm

If it still over heats, check for Hydrocarbons in the Coolant system - you could have a cracked head or similar, check for hoses under pressure and expanding.

Good luck and all the best.

Pete
I think Anton said last year and to get the heads checked out.

Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Thanks guys for all the advise.
Me and my son in law have had a long debate today.
We’ve now come to the decision once and for all to remove the entire engine and strip down, get the block and heads checked and any machine work done as necessary.
The car needs a complete re-wire and the engine bay looks really shabby, so I think we are going big style once and for all, if it gives us grief after that it’s going. It’s going to be a slow process as funds are very tight due the current situation we are all going through.
Does anyone know of a Good engine machine shop In the Surrey area.
Again thanks for the advise and be prepared for me to hassle you more as we progress.
Pete

Post by Pete »

At work, we get Thurstons to pressure test the Heads and Block for us, as usually you will hot tank before - you can flip a coin to decide in which order to do it and you will always be wrong!!!

They are based in Essex. We are in North London.

The sad fact is that you often have to spend money to find your major components are scrap....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Derek

Post by Derek »

Andy, give Russel a call his very close to you.
Attachments
510B377F-860E-4705-B373-F57B894A284F.jpeg
510B377F-860E-4705-B373-F57B894A284F.jpeg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 1992 times