Ebay Carburetors?

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Ebay Carburetors?

Post by TIB3300 »

Anyone ever bought / used one of the cheep " I think chinese " ebay Carburetors?
Dave999

Re: Ebay Carburetors?

Post by Dave999 »

i have a Chinese carter BBD

its alright

i used it as a basis to rebuild my old Aussie carter BBD

which basically involved dismantling both, and using the rods jets springs , ball bearings weights and some of the linkage and the better gaskets from the old one on the body of the new one. its on my original motor, sitting under the bench

i never ran it.. however having fished about inside both it seemed of reasonable quality. this is a 2 barrel set up which i found based on my experience, particularly finicky in respect to starting choke and bowl vent set up... if i'd know that i wouldn't have purchased a new carbb.....you live and learn

but £70 + shipping from an ebay account called sherryberg for what amounted to a new un bent un worn carb body seemed like a good go.

sherryberg has ebay store and one on aliexpress and covers off 100s or carbs and throttle bodies. seems to get carbs out of the same Chinese factory that makes EMPI and Kadron carbs (weber and solex copies) for US VW aftermarket suppliers. never the last thing in quality when it comes to gaskets pipes and jets but the Chinese can cast a decent bit of ally.
what you loose on quality is made up for by the fact that the throttle shafts and shaft bores are not worn to the point of no return
or indeed are in proper press-in,press-out bushes. orginal had the shaft just running in the body of the carb. hence most are worn out and have major air leak problems

Weber DGAS 38x38 might be nice. potentially too small for your motor. but torque is good, torque is what you drive with

are you looking 4barrel or 2 barrel

carder BBD is a 2 barrel Ball and Ball designed carb, Ball and Ball Dual BBD. carter carbs just nicked their design and cast them out :) weber DGAS is better but not bigger on a similar but not the same mounting just to be awkward

you would need an adaptor to fit the weber to mopar 2bbl manifold you don;t for the carter BBD

early 70s style chinese bbd "low top"

later ones did not have the shaft and disk in the top of the fuel bowl... and get called "High or Tin top"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carby-Carb-f ... SwIw1cCMzg

throw away the gaskets and the pipe* for the vacuum throttle kicker and replace with better.....

* seems to be the same stuff they use on those novelty hard hats have 2 cans mounted and a long straw into your mouth...suggest vacuum pipe might work better...

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Thanks Dave :thumbright:

my carb I has is the ally top, I dont know what carb I will be running later, but was just thinlking of using the standard carb untill I built the new engine.

On carburetors? If I was to go with a holley type carb? what would you suggest for best MPG?
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

well on a 2bbl manifold you can get the 2 barrel 500 to work ok but will need an adaptor
make sure you get one that is for a single carb install the front and rear ones from 6 pack installations i believe have some bits missing

but there is nothing wrong with an un worn carter BBD. any bad reputation comes from the fact that most of 30-70 years old

the older style like mine or the one with the tin/ally plate on top are both perfectly serviceable the style you have was used on jeeps up to the mid 80s

they are tuned in much the same way as the current edelbrock carbs hair spring and rods with different diameter halfway down dipping into a jet under vacuum. high vacuum fat bit of rod in jet low vacuum and open throttle, thin bit of rod in jet = more fuel

flappy bit up top to choke it off for starting managed by an electronic bimetallic coil or via a bimetallic coil clamped onto the exhaust manifold connected to the flap by a bendy rod. both use the bi-metalic as a timer to keep the choke on until up to operating temp

getting the choke to work or by converting to manual is key to success

with a holley of any type you will find more people who have tuned them successfully

PS i have a BBD off a 318 if you buy any BBD this one can be a source for rods n jets n springs if yours wasn't originally off a 318

i can dig those bits out and stick them to a postcard if you have the need :)
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Thanks Mr
"Dig those bits out "
If you can hold that for a while please

Will a 40DFAV work OK as may have a offer
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ford V6 carb, used on scimitars

its 2mm bigger than the DGAS and it appears to be much the same, sequential opening of 2 40mm barrels and at least designed for a V engine with a plenum style inlet

yes it will work if you can get the right jets, but it might be hard work. need to identify which carbs shared the emulsion tube and jet stack.. then you can see whats available, you will want an emulsion tube that is rich in low RPM and leans out higher up . i.e a tube with holes in the middle not near the top by the air inlet

carter bbd is 2 barrels at 1 1/4 inch i.e about 32 mm each

DFAV is 40 mm each, potentially choked down to less than that. its possibly a good match and expected to be on a 3.5 litre engine with 4 cylinders or 875 cc providing the SUCK, yours are 650 cc but you are sucking twice as much so its hard to say

depends how much it is... cheap and working and its worth a try. expensive and unknown the BBD is easier

will potentially drive better once set up, the Weber will be more tuneable, but both carbs will act as a rev limiter somewhat.. i.e just like with the carter you are unlikely to be revving it to 6000 rpm. which is no problem the motor spent its life between 1000 and 4000 rpm

have a chat with webcon then see if you can get parts cheaper elsewhere dellorto uk in reading for example

Dave
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Thanks, will stick to the Ebay carb for now :thumbright: