Mopar Performance Ignition Module

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Chaos

Mopar Performance Ignition Module

Post by Captain Chaos »

6730B4D9-9BE0-4095-A7CA-BDFA5D904F76.jpeg
6730B4D9-9BE0-4095-A7CA-BDFA5D904F76.jpeg (172.14 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Hello everyone.

Hopefully you can guide me to an answer on this please.

I have a Mopar Performance module on my Road Runner that I believe to be defective,the direct replacement for mine seems to be discontinued or unavailable and there is a lot of internet chatter about good and bad modules. Firstly does anyone know a supplier for the module shown? If not could I have opinions on what route I should go. I have seen an FBO system which says I must run their coil too a d was contemplating that. Thanks in advance Stewart.
morgan

Re: Mopar Performance Ignition Module

Post by morgan »

Far as I knew you can pop virtually any box on there. There are 4 and 5 pin but I had FBI, orange box and I think there was even a blue one in there somewhere.

4 pin orange box should be easy enough to get ?
I think I got one from frosts or hausers off the shelf when I went though my blowing-them-up-phase. Check voltage reg too ! Got caught there thinking it was box. Also, good earth.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Personally I feel the FBO version is the best of the bunch, it uses modern electronics rather than sticking with the outdated 1970s tech.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

morgan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 20 8:07 am Far as I knew you can pop virtually any box on there. There are 4 and 5 pin but I had FBI, orange box and I think there was even a blue one in there somewhere.

4 pin orange box should be easy enough to get ?
I think I got one from frosts or hausers off the shelf when I went though my blowing-them-up-phase. Check voltage reg too ! Got caught there thinking it was box. Also, good earth.
Thanks Morgan I’ll make sure I check the regulator.

I was trying to find the exact replacement,my worry was the quality of the boxes available from various suppliers judging by the chatter elsewhere.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Blue wrote: Thu Nov 19, 20 8:23 am Personally I feel the FBO version is the best of the bunch, it uses modern electronics rather than sticking with the outdated 1970s tech.
Thanks Blue. The one I looked at had a built in Rev limiter and insisted you run their coil,would you know if I need to be aware of anything else if I fit this system please?

It’s a vanity thing too but it looks a bit modern,perhaps I should get over that.

This is it.

http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes you need a 12v coil and do away with the ballast resister and that's it. Yes it looks modern but you can tuck it away, mine are under the dash.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Thanks Blue. The were specific about their own coil with the box which made me stop and think. I think I’ll go with the FBO stuff.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

other option is to gut your current box, keep case and heat sink, snip off the legs of the transistor and glue it on to the front

put in GM hei module bolt through into heat sink, and wire it to the connector, you can run it with a range rover and SD1 v8 coil DLB198 about 23 Quid for the coil and £7- £70 for the module....
you will need to snip off its mounting n 1 p p l e s to get metal to metal contact with box interior

the modules fail every 5-8 years as i found at the HRD this year but they are cheap as chips i never pay more than about 15 for one

just bypass your ballast (i.e move the coil + feed to the other end) and good to go

does the same job with electronics in a chip rather than discrete resistors capacitors and a big shiny jacketed transistor

once its bolted inside the mopar box and wired up

cut a piece of nylon chopping board and silicone it into the back of the box..

dave
Attachments
hei_102.jpg
hei_102.jpg (87.07 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
aaa hei_pic.jpg
aaa hei_pic.jpg (38.27 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is exactly what I did on my Polara :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

and what i plan for my valiant
neil.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/at ... 715262690/
Steve

Post by Steve »

When I did my conversion, i mounted two modules onto a computer heat sink. If one packs up, just swap the wires onto the other one to get going again if needed.

I know the module earths through the mounting bolts but I made up a small earth cable that I ran from one mounting point to the car bodywork. A bit overkill but bad earths are a constant source of issues with our old cars. Definately worth doing in my opinion

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Sorry I’ve been quiet on this thread. I managed to track down a Mopar unit after a long search. Appreciate the alternative ideas offered,thanks chaps👍