Valve stem seals

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Valve stem seals

Post by TIB3300 »

Stem seal help

I have a complete gasket set from rock autos, but the Valve stem seals don't seem to fit :-k Ive only got 8 of one type and 16 of the other in the kit :scratch:
Can anyone advice me on them ?

I have the same as the ones shownbelow . but there seems to be differant types like the 2nd set show
IMG_20191227_153827164.jpg
IMG_20191227_153827164.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Why are they different? and what and when did they change if at all ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/303005963629?chn=ps

Thanks
Last edited by TIB3300 on Wed Dec 16, 20 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pete

Re: Valve step seals

Post by Pete »

I think the 8 off ones normally need the valve guide machined to suit them. Much better oil control though....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Re: Valve step seals

Post by Blue »

Some later small block heads have rotators under the springs on the exhaust valves, I think the 8 are probably for those at a guess.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
TIB3300

Re: Valve stem seals

Post by TIB3300 »

Done a bit of research and they seem to be an umbrella seal :? dont look the best idea :?

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... ded.19040/
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

mine had plastic based umbrellas on all but thy take more space and hit the guide top with some guide and valve combos, when you put in a high lift cam.

the positive seal type are better, modern and lower profile. the plastic ones heat harden and fall off and end up in the sump eventually

i'd put the positive seal type on the inlets. they are the ones where there is vacuum at the guide as they open. too much oil can be sucked in, you need some but not enough to cause smoke

I initially ran nothing on the exhaust. but swapped to the positive seal type later...although with hindsight probably no need. little or no vacuum, the guide is kinda splash lubricated, anything sucked in gets blown out the exhaust if it doesn't get toasted first on the exposed sections of the valve

felpro do a metal bodied push fit positive seal type, that fits a bigger guide than most

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

for a standard build 16x plastic umbrellas fine if they are all like the picture they work ok
they fit tight on the stem and just avoid oil off the rocker flowing onto the interface between valve and guide.

put in 8 or 16 of the other type for high lift cam, non standard initialled height retainer/valve stem length. buy a set of 16 and if you get the guides done get some put in with an OD that works with the stem seals or get big fat ones put in and machined to fit.... 1 extra process per guide

worth getting oem sized seals, cheaper in the long run and available from stock at Mopar or rockauto. but only if you use the 3/8 stem valve
if you go for the thin stem valves 11/32 normally used in modern or aluminium replacement heads bit more research to find an OEM stem seal
thin stem valves more space in the port...less restriction etc.....

you don't need anything too funky here...
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Cheers Mr

Went with some new funky silicone ones , they do both in and out :thumbright: