FBHVC clarifies the introduction of E10 petrol for historic vehicle owners

Moderator: Moderators

MattH

FBHVC clarifies the introduction of E10 petrol for historic vehicle owners

Post by MattH »

This is of importance to us as Ethanol levels get higher in pump fuel.

After an extensive consultation process, the Department for Transport has announced that they will legislate to
introduce E10 petrol as the standard 95-octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021. They will also require the
higher-octane 97+ ‘Super’ grades to remain E5 to provide protection for owners of older vehicles. This product
will be designated as the ‘Protection’ grade.
The introduction of the 95-octane E10 grade and the maintenance of the Super E5 protection grade will be
reviewed by the Government after 5 years to ensure they remain appropriate to the needs of the market. In
relation to the E5 protection grade, such a review will examine market developments over the period. HM
Government have sought to reassure FBHVC members and historic vehicle owners that, without a suitable
alternative becoming available, it is highly likely the Super E5 protection grade would continue to be available.
Filling stations that stock 2 grades of petrol and supply at least one million litres of fuel in total each year, will
need to ensure one product is the Super E5 protection grade. While not all filling stations meet these criteria,
almost all towns across the UK will have a filling station that supplies the ‘Super’ grade and currently one major
retailer, a national supermarket group, has committed to offer the product. The main exception to this is in
certain parts of the Highlands, north and west coast of Scotland, which will be covered by an exemption
process and allowed to continue to market the 95-octane E5 grade.
The Federation therefore recommends that all vehicles produced before 2000 and some vehicles from the early
2000s that are considered non-compatible with E10 - should use the Super E5 Protection grade where the
Ethanol content is limited to a maximum of 5%. To check compatibility of vehicles produced since 2000, we
recommend using the new online E10 compatibility checker: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol
It should be noted that some Super E5 Protection grade products do not contain Ethanol as the E5 designation
is for fuels containing up to 5% Ethanol. Product availability varies by manufacturer and geographical location
and enthusiasts should check the situation in their location.
Attachments
FBHVC Press Release 26.02.21 - E10 clarification.pdf
(162.13 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Blue

Re: FBHVC clarifies the introduction of E10 petrol for historic vehicle owners

Post by Blue »

Good news of sorts I suppose but the first nail in the coffin when it comes to a readily available source of suitable fuel.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

MattH wrote: Fri Feb 26, 21 7:19 pm It should be noted that some Super E5 Protection grade products do not contain Ethanol as the E5 designation
is for fuels containing up to 5% Ethanol.
That's Esso Supreme 99.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Blue

Post by Blue »

That might be the fuel of choice then!
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

Mark B wrote: Sat Feb 27, 21 5:37 pm That's Esso Supreme 99.
It's what I use:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.
"

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
MattH

Post by MattH »

mustangbooks wrote: Sat Feb 27, 21 10:48 pm
Mark B wrote: Sat Feb 27, 21 5:37 pm That's Esso Supreme 99.
It's what I use:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.
"

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
I have always used whatever is available, but I think this will make me switch now. We have ESSO in the town, and Jet which I will look into as well. I've seen the damage ethanol does to rubber pipes, even recently replaced ones, it just rots it from inside, and then blocks the fuel system, or worse, splits and sprays fuel onto hot bits and boom. no more car. It has happened - not to me thankfully.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes I agree, not something I'd paid much attention to either but I will be doing. We have an Esso here but its the station I never use because typically its the most expensive..
Pete

Post by Pete »

What about the old Standard - "Vpower"???
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Obviously the US have been dealing with this for many years (I think that you can't even get less than 10% ethanol unless you get race gas etc - could be wrong on that). One alternative would be to update the necessary parts of the fuel system...and/or figure out which if any parts are already ethanol compatible. In some cases that might be a cheaper route than paying through the nose every time you get fuel.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

Pete wrote: Mon Mar 01, 21 1:26 pm What about the old Standard - "Vpower"???
I used to use v-power, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it now contains ethanol. The only reference I can find on their website is:

"The RFTO target is typically met through the use of bio-derived ethanol in petrol and Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) in diesel, which are blended into Shell’s UK fuel products in compliance with current UK fuels specifications (up to 5% ethanol in petrol and up to 7% FAME in diesel fuel). This means that, in the UK, Shell regular unleaded and Shell V-Power unleaded are likely to contain some ethanol, but it will not be present at more than 5% (in accordance with current UK specification requirements)."
morgan

Post by morgan »

The most worrying thing is the first sign could be 'woof!' as a perfectly functional fuel system becomes a flamethrower after rotting from inside.
I have been on Esso99 for a while, but I dont know what state things are in my tubes now. Worrying.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks, Andy!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Pete

Post by Pete »

I bit the bullet and changes all the Challenger Fuel lines to Ethanol capable products last year.

I think that the high pressure lines for fuel injection are the areas most at risk for a failure.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

I tested BP Ultimate a few months ago and it contains no Ethanol.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Mick - well worth knowing!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.