New starter or rebuild it?

Moderator: Moderators

Goblinking

Re: New starter or rebuild it?

Post by Goblinking »

I know what you mean,I ordered some things from a big UK parts supplier,took 2 weeks to get delivered and cost 3 times as much as the same things from Rockauto.Sadly there dont seem to be any uk yank parts suppliers with realistic prices.
MattH

Post by MattH »

I use USAutomotive alot as they are 15 minutes away so I can just pop in, but if they don't have stock, they get weekly container deliveries.
That's when Rockauto can probably beat them on time and price.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yeah melted contacts in relay....

2 relays 1 for auto and 1 for manual

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Goblinking

Post by Goblinking »

I only had an hour today to look at my car,so while im waiting of a new starter relay coming i thought ill take the one on the car to bits,check the contacts.The contacts were pitted so i cleaned them up,put the relay back on the car,turn the key,nothing still.
I earthed the nss wire through my multimeter to the battery and it was an open circuit,so i climbed under the car,wiggled the selector linkage and i had a very intermittent connection.I then took the plug cover off the nss and checked the centre pin on the switch,earthed it and it was open circuit,my reverse lights also have stopped working.
I assume its the neutral safety switch gone bad,but it may also be the linkage needs adjusting?
I did run an earth straight from the nss terminal on the starter relay to bypass the switch,but that did nothing either.
Im stumped for now,but i will have more time tomorrow afternoon,anyone have any suggestions?
Also the only noise when i turn the key,apart from the swearing,is an electrical zzztt noise,which i traced to the rotor arm contact spring.
I've just discovered my car has a seatbelt interlock system,better check that out,it's a 1974.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

MMmm

so
relay..potentialy ok
NSS ?
setabelt thingo ?
ignition switch appears to be ok at least for ignition power in the RUN position but does it switch 12 volts to starter switcher?
if only 8 or 9 arrives then the solenoid might not fire fully

this has some hallmarks of a..........

old starter was ok and the supply was just too low on the current front

check battery to starter solenoid to starter motor fat wires (although you did short it to start.....
and the earth strap from the motor to the chassis usually from a motor mount bolt on the engine side of the rubber biscuit but again you have successfully started it

I had similar a while back measure 12 volts. all good
switch on ignition and measure 0.5 volts

dismantled the igntion side of things
unrwapped miles of loom looking for shorts
dash apart
dome light out looking for shorts

eventual cause 1 green crusty connector hidden under the loom wrap tape in the main power feed from battery to bulkhead

back in the cars history this wire had melted and someone had cut it off at the point where the insulation stopped being toasted had put a 1/4 inch female spade on and used a new wire back to battery with a male spade end
then burried it in the wrapped loom

battery vapour had basically turned this junction into a green powder....

if i'd measured resistance i would have found it way sooner

Dave
Goblinking

Post by Goblinking »

Well,the problem is solved.I took the starter relay to bits again and discovered the tiny wire going to the neutral safety switch from the solenoid winding had a bad connection to the post,i soldered it back on and it worked,which is good enough until my new relay comes.So it was a combination of bad starter,causing pitted/burned contacts in the starter relay and a dry solder joint/bad connection on the neutral safety switch terminal on the starter relay.
New starter,sanded the contacts and soldered the wire,just in case anyone ever has the same problem.
Blue

Post by Blue »

The will it or won't it cha cha cha flat battery sound of a Mopar starter certainly is individual but give me the energetic wirr of a mini starter every time!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Goblinking

Post by Goblinking »

I swear it fires up like its fuel injected now.Gotta be the increased engine speed of the new starter?
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yeah they are nice little units...

trouble is parts book seems to be only available to dealers
i'm sure its not hard to build an absolute torque monster from OEM bits.. if you know the Denso parts numbers

but i guess that would spoil a lot of business potential, the big players are probably getting custom parts made from billet etc hence the cost, but for most of us a tried and tested OEM stock parts starter does the job
and they are seem to be much the same until the dodge neon comes along diamler chrysler era, anything with slant 6 or small or big block origins seems to use a similar starter on the same stud pattern

Dave