Stage V Heads and Header Clearance

Moderator: Moderators

SPIKE

Stage V Heads and Header Clearance

Post by SPIKE »

Hi to you all, first post on this forum.

I have a 69 B body Coronet with a Stage V converted 440, there are clearance issues on the drivers side as the headers clout the p/steering box adjuster nut! There seems to be no room, and its as if it has had the wrong mount fitted on the drivers side. The car has early TTI headers that go under the front of the K frame and not the later type that go over the top. the K frame is for a 440. It looks like the mount has collapsed but it looks thin to start with, Needs thicker mount? I do not know if these are high or low port but they are very early heads.

Lots of chatter about Schumacher engine mounts but i think they do not trade any more, Trans dapt gets a mention but i have no idea if it will work and or what to order. a 3/8 slab of ally glued to the mount feels favourite but this may push the motor over in the car, what is best?

Steering is all clear and no chassis rubbing with the exhaust although the no1 header pipe is fag paper close to the K frame, nothing a ding wouldn't sort. No headroom issues...yet.

I am hoping that someone on here has seen this problem and if it has already been covered apologies,

I am in your hands. Thanks in anticipation.
morgan

Re: Stage V Heads and Header Clearance

Post by morgan »

I cant help with your specific application, but in terms of what I have learned with TTI header clearance (albeit later types).

1) You dont need the Schumacher mounts - even with a SB k frame. Stock 440 mounts properly aligned should do it.
2) You can shim the mounts - I put a 5mm plate between the mount and the frame if you need to 'lift it' a bit.
3) Level is everything. Put a spirit level across the heads and make sure engine sits absolutely level. a degree out and it causes quite severe alignment issues; you'd be amazed - I ended up clouting a big dent in my TTIs first time around, but I have loads of clearance now I have made sure engine level WITHOUT needing a shim.

Might be something in there.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Don't think stage 5 heads are raised port, 6's definately are. As Morgan says engine placement is critical, not only level but at the correct offset, details here, https://www.ttiexhaust.com/PDF/II_TTI440-200.pdf
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi there.

I assume you mean a 440 Block with Hemi "Stage V" Conversion heads?

I also assume it is in a Green Super Bee that has been lowered for road racing?

Please can you confirm, thanks.

I run a Hemi Stage V Conversion head set up on a Mega Block...

Welcome to the club too!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

The motor is far from level, it really is "on the wonk" so i will have to investigate further, it sits low in the bay on the drivers side, the whole car does not "sit" correctly as the car has been set to race heights and also was adjusted at the front to get it on and off a trailer. Car is low on drivers side. torsion bars look to be over one inch Dia. Also the leaf springs seem to have sagged from the original race settings further upsetting the front.

Whilst discussing Stage V issues, where would i get a set of (This is what i call em) Plug post insulators< the posts that sit atop the plug to allow the HT to connect at the top of the tube, these are Taylor and have broken into little shards of rubber?

Colour is "Sage".

Thanks for direction, Spike.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Does the Engine have a "Hemi Head"????
Attachments
Engine Bay.jpg
Engine Bay.jpg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Hi Pete,

You mean them two big silver things? They are a dead givaway! Yes Stage V Hemi, on a 440 block, built about 25 years ago.

Spike.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I got my Plug Wires (leads) from "Hauser Racing", worth getting some good quality ones as they are quite long.

Martin Saville from RPM will be along shortly, I am sure he built it....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Pete wrote: Mon Mar 22, 21 8:26 pm Does the Engine have a "Hemi Head"????
Looking at your picture the motor looks a lot lower, particularly on the drivers side. Is there a dimension to head for, say height from the top of the wing?

How sure is sure? Hello Martin!
Pete

Post by Pete »

The dimensions are as Blue says, as you are getting the balancer / crank bolt in the correct position.

Chrysler engines are off set 2.5" to the Pass side, but you have to get the height correct too.

My engine is on a motor plate, but the same basic set up still applies...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.