Air conditioning

Moderator: Moderators

v8rumble

Air conditioning

Post by v8rumble »

I want to try and get the air con going on my 69 Superbee.

Can anyone recommend anyone who can advise/gas it up in the Northamptonshire area?
MattH

Re: Air conditioning

Post by MattH »

Be prepared for alot of pain if it has not been used for a long time.
The gas used in these is not allowed now, so there is the potential to have to replace alot of seals as the new gas doesnt like old seals.
You may find a decent air can place that have been around a few years that have an unofficial stash of the old stuff that they may be able to use.
You can get conversion fluids that will allow new gas in older systems.
Once gassed up there are then components that may not work, and then need a de-gas to remove and repair them. The main component is the compressor. If it holds gas and doesnt leak then that is good. There is the chance of corrosion on any of the pipework as well, which will not be found until pressurised and leak tested.

I don't know of any companies Northants way, I used a mobile guy once who was good but that was many years ago.

It will be a case of some phone calls until you find a company that sound interested.

Kempston Radiators in Bedford do air con as well I think, they are very good on old school rads and the like so may be able to help.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Re: Air conditioning

Post by Dave999 »

there is also a decent chance that your Airtemp control unit is broken

when the system is on the "way out" there is a huge temptation to press the buttons hard and this breaks the vacuum seal between the buttons and the distribution block on the back

you end up with rough running and a air leak into the inlet if the black pipe is still connected to the carb/inlet

you need to work out how many buttons you have. then buy a control with the latest highest part number (and the correct number of buttons). that way you get a slightly more robust unit

distribution connector on the back is either D shaped or rectangle. obviously you need the right one for your aircon control pipes

the other hard to get aspect is the vacuum controlled heater matrix tap that mounts usually on the inner wing. most are seized solid although there are some cheap Chinese modern ones on ebay.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying