Hemi HT Help.

Moderator: Moderators

SPIKE

Hemi HT Help.

Post by SPIKE »

Please, does anyone recognise this part and possibly tell me where to buy.
It is on a Stage .v head using Taylor connectors.
Thanks.
Sorry about the pic size, I am old!
Attachments
WIN_20210418_16_00_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210418_16_00_22_Pro.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
WIN_20210418_15_59_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210418_15_59_37_Pro.jpg (165.64 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Dave999

Re: Hemi HT Help.

Post by Dave999 »

its a converter from Bullet style/ HEI style connector, to normal plug connector but its complicated by the fact that on your hemi it needs to go down a long hole to get to the plug and potentially seal against the valve cover

these might work

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/magnecor-8 ... ViEALw_wcB

you'd need 2 sets

but can't say if the length of lead or the length of that through cover adaptor is going to be correct

but looks like you can get the taylor bits here

https://www.taylorvertex.com/spark-plug ... ire-parts/

Just got to find a UK agent or ask WASP

or get RON at STS to bring them in, in a container takes a month or 2

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Hi Dave, and thanks for the reply.

I see where you are coming from with the magnecor idea but cannot see that sealing against the top of the rocker cover, two sets would work but would need to cut the ends off my Taylor leads, there is nothing wrong with these so seems a shame.

As for the link to Taylor, I spoke to their tech last week and on his advice ordered the 44000 set of tubes. That was £90 with the tax wasted as they are nothing like, they are just the empty tubes for $60 no seals clips nothing.

As you can see from the pic these are dropping to bits and so fragile that i am reluctant to mess with them. I don't believe these are unique.

Thanks for your input. Spike.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

well i tell you what

this might work

look up ford EDIS or FORD Zetec ignition leads on ebay

big tube rubbery seal and fit the bucket connection on a standard dizzy cap

this kinda thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-C-Max-I ... Sw0QlgGcXJ

if they don't fit back on ebay the next day

Dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

or these

4.5 inches long

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/deep-spar ... ressor-cap

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362197352718 ... A5EALw_wcB

look up long/deep spark plug suppressor cap

dave
SPIKE

Post by SPIKE »

Dave.

They all look good particularly the zetec ones as these would seal against the valve cover. The NGK caps are no go, we have some of these in stock at the shop and they sit so low that it is difficult to remove without longnose.

I also thought about using a rubber end from a donor like the Zetec and attaching it to what i have using adhesive lined heat shrink. I figire all i have to do is make the path of the spark longer to stop it arcing out in the tube. I did not think there was much of a problem until last night as it was getting dark you could see the odd flash from the plug tubes, not good but with a few RPM goes away, this would explain a lumpy tick over!

The other thing i have noticed is damp in the spark plug tubes, this does flash off but again will add to my problem, the tubes are not oily. A possible answer is the car being sat over winter, also it got wet through when i went to fetch the car recently. I am going to get everything dried out properly and try again.

Of course if you or anyone thinks of another answer please let me know, New leads are an option but a shame to throw away a perfectly good set of Taylor leads.

Spike.

P.S. Am I allowed to fit Ford parts?
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes

my favourite bits of brand x
GM HEI modules and FORD EDIS igntions
and i do like a ford FL1-A oil filter Robust and nicely made same config as the fram most fit to their mopars

Dave
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Mancini racing, have what you need, $160, you dont need ford focus parts on your 20k engine :roll:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well said, Dave.

I already said on another thread that "Hauser Racing" would get you a set in if you do not wish to buy direct from the 'States....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ahhhh i see we are not aligned in our views about leads, i'll explain my reasoning but if i am ever to learn the error of my ways i'll need to know yours.

regardless of the cost of the engine i don't see why using a perfectly competent ignition lead from another manufacturer is such a bad thing

2 technologies in ignition leads
1) copper core
2) graphite silicone core

the first dies due to heat and vibration the second dies due to the core being broken up by high voltage after say 75000 miles of use

the electricity travels down the outer most skin of the conductor meaning most manufacturers align more or less on conductor size for the type of conductor used. nobody is running around with 2 inch diameter ignition leads with 1.5 inch diameter conductors in them for good reason

so when ignition leads are measured as 5 mm (lawn mowers) 7mm 8mm general car and truck bike, 9mm (vintage) the focus is on insulation not the thickness of the conductor big fat conductor just adds weight so most of them are about the same size, some with fancy spiral wound construction around a softer core/. Some of the graphite based leads need no suppressor as the resistance is in the wire

Ford and Taylor ignition have been around for a while, i would suspect that both know what they are doing and both will have a price point for their spare parts.
both have products in modern "sell by the million- last for 100,000K +" cars

ford make cars, taylor supplies bulk cable to oems, potentially not ford but OEM manufactures of cars and plant with names we know.
taylor also make nice red stuff for people who want good OEM reliability and excellent performance in a product that looks nice

ford EDIS and later ignition tech used on ZETEC is a wasted spark or individual coil pack ignition providing spark power levels way above what could be achieved with 1970s ignition boxes. i.e the HT leads need to be good and the specification of the cable will be good for any coil or ecu triggered coil-driver style ignition you can get

MSD style stuff changes the playing field some-what with its short pulses of much higher voltage into the coil, but its the same coil with the same resistance in its secondary so as along as the insulation is good on the HT side, its seeing much the same as it would with a standard ignition , all it does is get the best out of your coil... you are good to go.

so as far as i can tell all this comes down to, is how much do you want to spend to make it look nice,if i'm wrong on that front i'd like to know

if i was suggesting he used domestic 2 core or Antenna coax i'd understand the concern...

i don't know what ignition is in use but i'm willing to bet its not a Magneto, id take a guess this car runs on petrol out of a pump at the local Esso
so i'd suggest the CR is not sky high i.e its a relatively normal engine, the fact that it might have cost 20K is neither here nor there. if it was built 20 years ago it might have cost 4k if it was to be built in 20 years time it might cost 40K its still an engine designed in the 1960s using an ignition system with its roots in a delco design from 1910.

Dave
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

You can try and baffle the man with all that nonsense, Dave, he just needs a set of leads for his old jalopy cause the ends are melted, $160 and hes on his way,,,,,Lord help me :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Well, that wasn't aimed at Spike... :) that was just me wasting my time trying to illustrate that a HT lead is an HT lead, makes little odds who's name is on it, all they do is reinvent the same thing over and over again, HT leads just need to work. Any gains with new leads just means the old ones were knackered. as in this case.
I was a little bemused by the fact that you both dismissed something that would work perfectly well, you might not like the idea, and i know neither of you would put ford focus bits on your own or your customers engines. wouldn't look good from a business point of view, but i still stand by my assertion that past the "couple of quid" price point in real terms a competent lead from any manufacturer that fits in the hole will perform perfectly well for most applications.

Can't comment on if, Cost, time to import, what "looks right" is relevant in this case but assumed based on a query about just replacing the broken parts that the intention wasn't to buy a full new set from Taylor, potentially because the set on there now, have failed to do their job for long enough to be considered a good investment.

maybe they all go like that, if they do, don't buy em..

Hence, having got a V6 ford EDIS set here, triple seal for the tube, 90* lead, nice little bit to grab onto to pull em out, it was easy to suggest ford leads with a complete cost of less than a set of cable end/tubes and seals.

the suggestion might be slightly off the wall but i could see some merit.

if id suggested cheese strings and gaffer tape, Lord Help Me indeed :)

Dave
morgan

Post by morgan »

Well it was helpful to me.
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Taylor 10.4mm madman set at £110 or a 440source set at £50 !
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Post by Pete »

You don't need 10.5 leads on that, Morgan - unless you are "Willy Waving"...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
morgan

Post by morgan »

I am. Its all those of us without Hemis can do... Sigh.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"