Fuel tank sender - removal tool?

Moderator: Moderators

Stu Twin

Fuel tank sender - removal tool?

Post by Stu Twin »

I need to get a proper removal tool for the stock fuel sender as i haven't had much luck sealing it up using the traditional screwdriver method .
Can someone post up a picture of the best tool and ideally best place to get one?
Ta.
adrianp

Re: Fuel tank sender - removal tool?

Post by adrianp »

Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Thanks Adrian, that looks like it might work as the 'teeth' look like they're angled down.
Not sure that there's much space up under the car though!
There were quite a few different 'universal' tools when I Googled it.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Another one, looks similar / the same as the one in Adrian's link...

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mf293.html

so probably correct :-k
adrianp

Post by adrianp »

Stu Twin wrote: Mon Sep 06, 21 1:30 pm Thanks Adrian, that looks like it might work as the 'teeth' look like they're angled down.
Not sure that there's much space up under the car though!
There were quite a few different 'universal' tools when I Googled it.
You're not a million miles from me so if it'd help you're welcome to borrow and see if it does the job.

adrian.
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Thanks for the kind offer Adrian, I'm hoping to borrow one that's a bit more local.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

I've managed to borrow a tool. (thanks Jim)
Before a remove the sender and gasket, I'm wondering about whether to replace the lock ring gasket.
The sender is only a few years old (Mancini or YR1) so maybe the lock ring and gasket aren't as thick / HD as the OEM originals. This maybe part of the reason it's leaking.
(though it admittedly didn't leak until I removed it)
Annoyingly I've only just thrown out the old tank which I've had in the garage for a few years. It had the old lock ring in it. It did look very 'used' however.
So I'll have to use one of the repro lock rings I have.
But I could get some Nitrile sheet to make a new, slightly thicker gasket. OR
Use some of this paper-y gasket material I have. Need to check the thickness though. It says it's suitable for fuel.
Another thought is I could use the supplied rubber gasket under the sender, and cut a paper gasket to go under the lock ring to effectively increase the thickness.

Thoughts??

Edit -I've just checked and I have somehow accumulated 3 spare unused lock rings and a gasket. The rings vary in thickness:
1.1mm / 0.042"
1.2mm / 0.048"
1.8mm / 0.070"
and an unused rubber gasket at 2mm.
I'll check the thicknesses of the ring & gasket I take off.
And the gasket paper is 0.4 and 0.7mm.
Attachments
gasket paper.jpg
gasket paper.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
adrianp

Post by adrianp »

You should be able to get a decent seal with the standard lock ring and gasket. When I had these issues I ended up dropping the tank replacing the lock ring, gasket and sender and then putting the tank on a stand so that the sender was at the lowest point and put a few litres of fuel it in and just let it sit for 24-48 hours. You'll soon know if it's done the job. Wasn't too much of a deal for me as I couldn't get to the sender anyway with the tank in the car so the tank was out anyway.

It might be difficult to line up two gaskets and get them to stay in place. In my limited experience making sure the one stayed in place kept me busy enough as the sender could move round when trying to seal the lock ring.

adrian.
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

I took your advice Adrian and dropped the tank. Figured it would be easier to access the clamp ring and make sure it doesn't leak before buttoning it up.
Even with it out, access is pretty difficult with the clamp for the return line hose being so close to the ring.
Anyway, got the sender out and it's pretty obvious why it was leaking - way off centre. And i don't think the paint around the hole helps.

Question - on the sender there's a rubber sleeve over the metal strip, that is deteriorating as it's clearly not immune to fuel. And there's bits of it in the bottom of the tank along with flakes of paint. Is it to insulate it electrically from the body of the tank? It would be nice to get rid of this sleeve or replace with something more durable.
Attachments
Didn't spill a drop - honest
Didn't spill a drop - honest
P1260423 - Copy.JPG (82.06 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
waayyy off centre
waayyy off centre
P1260425 - Copy.JPG (89.65 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
dodgy rubber sleeve
dodgy rubber sleeve
P1260428 - Copy.JPG (77.2 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Got the tank cleaned out, a few bits of flaky paint from around the sender, and some rubber presumably from the sender arm.
Tried the thickest locking ring I had but it was too thick, so went with another of a similar thickness but the raised portions were higher so it did pull in tighter. Used the tool to tighten but even that will work itself off-centre so need to do it bit by bit and keep moving the tool around. Not sure that there would be room to do that with the tank in situ.
As per Adrian's suggestion I put a couple of gallons in it and stood the tank on end. No apparent leaks so touched up the areas where the paint had been come off with some silver Hammerite.
Rob helped lift the tank up in place when we got back from the HRD's.
I made up some replacement vent tubes as the originals look every bit of their 52 years old. Nothing wrong with them really but didn't seem right putting the old ones back on.
All looks nice down there and in the trunk now, shame no one will ever see it. Apart from when I take it for the MOT in a few weeks.
Just need to be able to fill it up now... :angryfire:

... if any one could use some old vent tubes for a 69 B body (not sure about a Charger tho?) even if to use a patterns I can hold onto them. Otherwise they'll be going in the bin.
Attachments
P1260505.JPG
P1260505.JPG (87.69 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
P1260506.JPG
P1260506.JPG (74.47 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
P1260507.JPG
P1260507.JPG (125.08 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
P1260508.JPG
P1260508.JPG (84.6 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Good job, well done that man. Glad I was able to help... for about 1/2 hour :oops: