small block rear sump leak help

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

small block rear sump leak help

Post by TIB3300 »

Good evening chaps

Rebuilt the engine , but seem to have a leak from the rear of the sump, from the half moon part.

My question is, should I have used sealant as well?

Is there a way to stop it, apart from removing the sump?

ps I do have an idea :working:
Dave999

Re: small block rear sump leak help

Post by Dave999 »

I used some silicone there

if the guts of the motor hang out below the pan rails on a 318 like they do on mine
then you have pan rail gasket up to the hump of the rear main seal housing and a strip of rubber that goes over the hump.
i used a smear of silicone on both sides of the rubber to stick it on and a decent squidge in each corner at the point where the card gasket butted upto the housing and rubber part

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

That half moon seal is easy to dislodge, I had a huge leak from mine, as it had moved slightly when putting back on. Some sumps have the holes with pegs on the seal that locate it, like 5 small rubber fingers, others don't and they are easy to get them slightly nudged out of position when putting the sump back.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 21 12:09 pm I used some silicone there

if the guts of the motor hang out below the pan rails on a 318 like they do on mine
then you have pan rail gasket up to the hump of the rear main seal housing and a strip of rubber that goes over the hump.
i used a smear of silicone on both sides of the rubber to stick it on and a decent squidge in each corner at the point where the card gasket butted upto the housing and rubber part

Dave
Sorry for the slow responce, I still have the leak. Thanks for the tip :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

MattH wrote: Sat Oct 16, 21 12:02 pm That half moon seal is easy to dislodge, I had a huge leak from mine, as it had moved slightly when putting back on. Some sumps have the holes with pegs on the seal that locate it, like 5 small rubber fingers, others don't and they are easy to get them slightly nudged out of position when putting the sump back.
Thanks for the reply Yes I did see someone do that on youtube :thumbright: