Leaky 727!

Moderator: Moderators

Ryanwilki

Leaky 727!

Post by Ryanwilki »

Hi everyone,
I've had a relatively large leak from my transmission for a while that seems to be getting worse. I've nipped up the pan bolts which seems to have fixed some of it. And I've just brake cleanered the rest of the oil/grime off to make it a bit more obvious where its coming from. I took it for a quick spin and re-assessed. I have a tiny leak from the prop output shaft seal which i will address in the near future but my main concern is the big leak from the rear of the transmission. I'm not sure how to describe it so hopefully this photo will help... Photo is showing just above the rear of the pan and for some reason turned portrait when i uploaded it.
Can anybody tell me what part this is and why it might be leaking? I get a little puddle from it overnight! I gave it a little push with my finger and it pushed in a little so obviously has a little bit of movement. It drives perfect so hopefully nothing too serious.
Thank you :)
Attachments
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG (102.61 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Blue

Re: Leaky 727!

Post by Blue »

That's the rear servo support shaft, it has an O ring seal on it, I have also seen them seemingly intact but actually broken in half when you remove it.
You can change the seal with the trans in situ but it's a fair bit of messy work. Normally I wouldn't advise using silicone sealer anywhere near an automatic but a big blob on the end of the shaft if you can get it dry enough will certainly slow it down but ultimately won't seal it.
Doing the job properly means prop off, crossmember and tailshaft off, shift and kick down levers off, pan off, valve body out and then you can access the shaft to slide it out the back of the box, a good few hours work.
On the upside, it would give you the opportunity to change the filter, the valve body seal and the tail shaft bush and seal as well as the pan gasket, these are the main causes of external leaks.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Ryanwilki

Post by Ryanwilki »

Thanks blue, that clears it up perfectly. I figured the tail shaft would have to be removed to take it out and replace the seal but was hoping the rest could remain in place. I think il try the silicone blob as a temporary fix until I find time to sort it properly. Il replace those parts you listed at the same time. Appreciate your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue

Post by Blue »

:thumbright:
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”