Slap Stick replacement

Moderator: Moderators

newsatten

Slap Stick replacement

Post by newsatten »

Has anyone done this? looking to buy and fit a aftermarket shifter, want something more positive,
Originally the plan was to convert the car to a 5 speed Tremec type box, i sourced a pedal box, and thats as far as it got! My left knee is now pretty shot, waiting for a fully knee replacement, so now the slusher is a god send!

Just be nice to have a firm and positive shift for when i want to have a play .................................... suggestions please
MattH

Re: Slap Stick replacement

Post by MattH »

I need to do this too. My slap stick falls apart if you actually slap it, the plastic handle is very weak and it all comes apart and the button pings across the car, meaning jammed in gear.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you could still do the tremec

but try changing gear in a BMW first

diaphragm clutch plate
remove over centre spring
keep same bell housing
keep same clutch arm sticking out of bell housing
replace Z bar linkage and ball stud mount with an angle iron bracket
mount BMW 3 series Pusher type hydraulic clutch slave https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/febi-Clutch- ... SwIWBePAdP

you will probably have to thread the business end

instead of the rubber and washer off the end of the old pushrod use the hardend steel one off a dodge truck. did the same job, just vibrated the teeth out of the truck driver if he rode the clutch rick ehrenberg sells them on ebay just easier to adjust for appropriate freeplay

ideally you would use a late brake master cylinder with a bottle on top or modify current one by drilling top and sealing it and using a brake fluid bottle of an old UK car

drill/tap the side of your brake master cylinder about 3mm lower than standard fluid height
your top bottle master cylinder means you will not run out of juice for brakes and the drilling means the clutch will always fail first if it bursts at the slave leaving 90% of the fluid still in place for the brakes
plumb via a short length to clutch master

master cylinder https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-Maste ... SwXdFcybX3

nice eye on it for connecting to peddle rod

only issue is how to mount it.

should be a nicer much lighter clutch

No i've not done it...but the plan does rattle about in my head from time to time:)

modern BMW quite big n heavy 1.5 to 1.9 tonne equipment should be ok for a B body at 1.7 tonne

sorry i know nout about slapsticks

https://www.lokar.com/products.html

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

The slap stik is a decent shifter, if yours is playing up it would probably be easier/cheaper to fix it. Often the mechanism in the shifter assembly is just gummed up and needs a good clean. It's possible the gate mechanism is worn but that doesn't seem to be a common issue - more often it's just gunged. If it is actually worn I think you can get a replacement gate (you can definitely get a reverse pattern gate to convert the slap stik, I thought I'd heard the regular gate is also available).
If the handle is bust, again that can be replaced cheaper than a new shifter, and no cutting up the car either.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Completely stripped the shifter, squared all the dedents etc, works fine as a auto shifter, but rubbish for manual shifting, its to vague, and as stated very flimsy and crap plastic etc,
want a firm positive mechanism................
And the Manual conversion is deffo on the back burner, being one legged a slusher is perfect :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

MrNorm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 20 12:50 pm The slap stik is a decent shifter, if yours is playing up it would probably be easier/cheaper to fix it. Often the mechanism in the shifter assembly is just gummed up and needs a good clean. It's possible the gate mechanism is worn but that doesn't seem to be a common issue - more often it's just gunged. If it is actually worn I think you can get a replacement gate (you can definitely get a reverse pattern gate to convert the slap stik, I thought I'd heard the regular gate is also available).
If the handle is bust, again that can be replaced cheaper than a new shifter, and no cutting up the car either.
The gate is fine, it is just the plastic bit falls into two pieces and the lock out button then pings across the car with the tiny spring. The shift action is fine, but you cannot slap it, only move it gently.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

MattH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 20 8:22 am
The gate is fine, it is just the plastic bit falls into two pieces and the lock out button then pings across the car with the tiny spring. The shift action is fine, but you cannot slap it, only move it gently.
all this talk of shaft action and slapping it... I'm sure Duncan will be along soon to contribute ;)
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

MattH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 20 8:22 am The gate is fine, it is just the plastic bit falls into two pieces and the lock out button then pings across the car with the tiny spring. The shift action is fine, but you cannot slap it, only move it gently.
Yes I had that when I first owned my car. I tried a few repairs and even made a billet aluminium shifter which worked fine but didn't look fine! Eventually I bought a replacement original plastic handle and never had any issues - I could definitely slap it!!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Maybe thats the issues?
Its all original so the plastic is 50 years old, it feels very flimsy and also brittle,
No i need a solid bit of kit, no problem making a dedicated bracket for mounting, as one way or another ill utilise the fixings that are there and make a replacement console trim, this way it can always be returned to stock,
Cant help thinking that a modern cable type control, will be just less clunky , and quicker/nicer to use...............
Just want to make the car as user friendly as i can,
Blue

Post by Blue »

Personally I would buy new parts and fix the slap stick, they do work fine and I would much prefer a linkage to a cable.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

Im surprised? i'd have thought the rods, and eyes would be prone to ware, and bulking??
But i'l always listen to you guys , you've got far my know how on this stuff!

Any body using a Ratchet Type shifter and actually pleased with it lol............................................... :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

It's actually a pretty good system when it's all in good order. I have a ratchet shifter in my Barracuda that works fine, but it is an old B&M Quick click which I've always considered to be the best due to its simplicity. I did fit one into an E body console some years ago without too much trouble.
Even so, without work they are somewhat flimsy and the cable is prone to getting burned and failing. Any of the more modern shifters that have lockouts or triggers for reverse have a tendency to jam in my experience, I've driven cars with most of the popular styles and I'm not a fan.
Turbo Action style gate shifters are the best, built with agricultural strength and very easy to use. I've not done it myself but I've seen plenty mounted in consoles.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”