vinyl roof clean

Moderator: Moderators

ALLAN

vinyl roof clean

Post by ALLAN »

The Polara still has the original vinyl roof, still in good nick but could do with a lift,even the colour is good, any ideas what to clean it with? been told to avoid washing up liquid as the salts damage it, so far I've been told bees wax thro to WD40 ?
Derek

Re: vinyl roof clean

Post by Derek »

I've used this before but have run out so now I use vinyl cleaner from Halfords. You need to make sure it's for exterior of if it rains it will run and wash away down your paintwork.
Attachments
41bpEPqFvnL._SL250_.jpg
41bpEPqFvnL._SL250_.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

There used to be a two part system,I used it on an original Vynal top , it save the top for years and year, it had a cleaner, and then a sealer that you dipped a sponge in and ,you had to reapply each section,but once it cured off, it sealed the whole top with a thin coating,(kind of like an elmers glue skin) making it shine and protect the stuff worked so nice,the water ran off of it with no residue at all now, I can not find it,or even remember the name,I will keep looking,but the stuff was amazing :read2:
ALLAN

Post by ALLAN »

It's been sealed at some point, water runs off nicely,bit like it would on WD40, but it's patchy
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

drewcrane wrote: Sun Apr 01, 18 1:09 am There used to be a two part system,I used it on an original Vynal top , it save the top for years and year, it had a cleaner, and then a sealer that you dipped a sponge in and ,you had to reapply each section,but once it cured off, it sealed the whole top with a thin coating,(kind of like an elmers glue skin) making it shine and protect the stuff worked so nice,the water ran off of it with no residue at all now, I can not find it,or even remember the name,I will keep looking,but the stuff was amazing :read2:
Hey Drew probably banned now like any other product that worked well back in the day ffs,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Cannonball wrote: Sun Apr 01, 18 11:31 am
drewcrane wrote: Sun Apr 01, 18 1:09 am There used to be a two part system,I used it on an original Vynal top , it save the top for years and year, it had a cleaner, and then a sealer that you dipped a sponge in and ,you had to reapply each section,but once it cured off, it sealed the whole top with a thin coating,(kind of like an elmers glue skin) making it shine and protect the stuff worked so nice,the water ran off of it with no residue at all now, I can not find it,or even remember the name,I will keep looking,but the stuff was amazing :read2:
Hey Drew probably banned now like any other product that worked well back in the day ffs,,
Yep probably some kid drank it and now has a vynal stomach :shock:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Autoglym do a 'convertible roof restoration kit' ( or similar name) - its a kit with 2 bottles in it which you treat and remove i think. I bought it last year but have not actually got round to using it yet. Therefore cant comment if its any good but just saying there is one that for £25 might be worth a go...
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Boot polish 👍
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I use Mer, bumper and external vinyl cleaning gel. Works very well and leaves a lovely finish.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
ALLAN

Post by ALLAN »

Thanks guys, ended up using Poorboy's vinyl cleaner, bought it up nicely and no problems in the wet..