Engine/Trans what to consider before refit

Moderator: Moderators

ScottyDave

Engine/Trans what to consider before refit

Post by ScottyDave »

As titled, since the 318 & 904 are currently on the floor (in Scotland btw) what components should be checked/replaced before it gets refitted. It was a runner before it was taken out 3 years ago, only ever needing fresh fuel and a battery to start. I did manage to turn it over by hand when I was back.
From memory it drove fine 18yrs ago selecting gears and no slippage although it did lose trans fluid slowly and the transmission pan was wet when we removed it, tailshaft housing was dry.
Engine always a good starter with a smooth idle, don't think it had a great oil pressure reading on the factory gauge at least but never in the danger zone...no idea how old the oil is, could be a factor?
Also had a large flat spot pulling off if you tried giving it too much of a boot, think the timing is on factory settings though.

My focus and budget at the moment is to make sure it's a safe driver with the attention being given to the brakes, steering, suspension and electrics...which reminds me the alternators shot and I need a pulley as well, I belive Blue does a swap for a modern unit?

So with the engine/trans I just want to check or replace items which are easier to do now which hopefully will give it some sort of reliability fingers crossed.
So far I've bought: carb rebuild kit, oil filter, air filter, trans filter/gasket, thermostat, radiator cap, top and bottom radiator hoses.
Next to buy: distributor cap, rotor arm, plug leads, spark plugs, fuel pump and ignition module (wax coming out of mine)
Thinking about changing: core plugs, oil pump (hp or hf?), distributor vacum advance.
I have no idea about autoboxs.

Any input most welcome, especially anything to do with the transmission.
4 barrels, inlets, cams are but a distant dream just now.

Cheers Dave
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Mossy68

Re: Engine/Trans what to consider before refit

Post by Mossy68 »

Doesn’t sound like you’ve lots of issues to worry about Dave.
My Coronet was last used in 2012. I drove it for s year fixing minor niggles , but has sadly been in storage since. Saying that I often visit and take it for a spin around the farm where it currently lives with the same fuel it was put away with.
Sounds like the carb needs a tune / refresh, and a gasket on your box.
Plenty of threads on here for ignition set up etc , that I’m sure will get you up and running.
Well built these old Mopes ! ;)
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Cheers Mossy :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

If you have no idea about the trans etc i would just do the bare minimum to get the car back on the road and down where you live. Then at least you can get the local MMA members to help!!!

I'd deffo do the core plugs if the engine is out!! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would never put an engine in that has been stood around without a full strip and inspection.
In my opinion it is not worth going through all the installation grief and then find you have problems.

At the very least take the sump off and check it out..you have to do that on a SB anyway to get to the oil pump.
I would also lift the inlet and check correct Lifter operation.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

If my engine was out I will check it out and change what it needs before putting back in, Pete is right easier when out.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Yes Pete, Ali I do agree with you both that it's best to do a strip down and inspection before refitting. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with easy access....it's a full days travel each way and £280 per trip.
I could do a full strip but it might be 6-8 mths before I got back to it, that's a long time apart, especially in my dads garage :? lots of time for things to get moved around and misplaced.

So my train of thought is similar to Dave's, do the bare minimum to get it running and home. With that in mind it'll be,

Engine:
Replace core plugs
Drop the sump and change oil pump
Valve covers off, check rockers
Inlet off, check lifters
Rebuild carb
New fuel pump
New distributor cap, rotor, vac advance, leads
New plugs
New ignition module and ballast
New thermostat
Associated new gaskets
I guess maybe replace the water pump as well
Add a zinc additive to the oil?

Tansmission:
Pan off, have a look
Change filter and cross fingers
What about the tail shaft seal?

Once the above list has been done I plan on running it up on a test stand before refitting. If anyone can think of anything else to add, be free to.

Cheers Dave :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Long way off Dave, but when you finally start the car, have the trans in neutral to get the converter to fill. Then once warmed up, check trans level carefully. Takes more fluid than you might imagine for a dry box. If it don’t drive/reverse, check again!
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Cheers Miles I'll try to remember that :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Blue

Post by Blue »

As the engine and box have sat around for so long, gasket wise I would change front oil seal, rocker cover gaskets, sump gasket and rear main seal. Transmission, front convertor seal, rear seal and pan gasket. In addition to oils and filters I would probably change the water pump as well and obviously the core plugs and hoses. Prime the oil before you fire it up and see how it is.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Thanks Blue, couple more items now added to the shopping list :thumbright:
BTW can those transmission seals be changed easily?
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes not too hard, a lot easier to knock back in if you make yourself a tool.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

ScottyDave wrote: Wed Apr 25, 18 10:50 am Thanks Blue, couple more items now added to the shopping list :thumbright:
BTW can those transmission seals be changed easily?
Just a thought. I had my trans refreshed a year or two ago and may well have some spare parts (not used from the kit). I'll have at least three pan gaskets aswell as my upgrade packages will have one in each.

If interested i'll let you know. Hopefully this will all be in and done before the EuroNATS, so should be sorted and know what i have by then? :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Thanks Dave, It'll be the seals Blue suggested I'll be needing to get, I do already have a filter and gasket. Not going be ordering anything till closer to the next trip.

Blue wrote: Wed Apr 25, 18 10:59 am Yes not too hard, a lot easier to knock back in if you make yourself a tool.
:thumbright: might be picking your brains later in the year.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Hi , when you change the core plugs,..use brass ones and that should
be the last time that they will need changing.
Change the 'o' ring at the bottom of the transmission dipstick tube,..these can perish and cause a transmission fluid leak