dynamat

Moderator: Moderators

gmopar59

dynamat

Post by gmopar59 »

Has anyone used Dynamat or similar? i find with the new stainless exhaust the noise and heat inside the cabin are uncomfortable, particularly on a long trip.
Dave999

Re: dynamat

Post by Dave999 »

i haven't used it but every single car mag at some point or other has had one of their writers putting it in an extolling its virtues

so either dynomat do a good jolly for journalists or its actually quite good, its not like they take out double page adverts in the mags every month it seems to be popular for other reasons and potentially because it works

either way

the science seems to add up
shiny surface does indeed help to stop radiation of heat energy and that barrier works on both sides of the shiny stuff i.e the exact reverse of black.
and any padded stuff will help with vibration,panel boom and general noise

so i guess they are doing something pretty much right

however you can get tar backed or foam backed sticky thick tin foil type insulation from a builders merchants

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal ... m/p/210022
this stuff

or box gutter foil tape

might be cheaper and achieve much the same
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
deppmobile

Post by deppmobile »

I use SilentCoat (can get from Amazon) - works brilliantly and is significantly cheaper than Dynamat.

Personal view is that Dynamat have done an amazing marketing job on black goo and foil, probably by giving it to TV shows and journos. And the way they cover the whole of the area with it is marketing nonsense - read all the acoustics theory and you only need it on about 30-40% of a panel. I've tested the theory on the slab sides of a camper van - and more than that makes no difference other than adding weight and costing more.

Hope that's useful stimulus!

:thumbright:
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Thanks guys, Dave i don't think that would do too much for the heat. My fire extinguisher was hot to the touch after driving 70 miles. I may give the Silentcoat a shot. Thanks deppmobile. :thumbright:
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Dont use it,if you ever want/need to remove it,its a absolute bar steward.
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

When i bought the interior for my Duster (like 4 years ago now) i purchased an insulation kit for under the carpet, and with it came a bunch of these Dynamat strips, that when strategically placed on the floor pan, should in theory make quieter and not as hot. I Fitted it a little while back, and whilst i have only driven it once or twice since, it can say i have noticed a decrease in noise (but that could be due to the carpet and the insulation), and the transmission hump is not nearly as hot as it used to be. Again, it could be for any of these reasons, but so far so good in my opinion.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

I dont doubt it does a good job of reducing heat and noise inside the car but I've always been a bit sceptical about actually using it.
Our Polara has a one piece, almost transparent floor mat that covers both front foot wells and the tunnel. When we parked it after use, if we leave the mat in place, depending on the air temp in the garage, sometimes we can see condensation forms under the mat from the heat coming up thru the carpet.
What I'm worried about with Dynamat is if it's not fitted properly to the floor, ie stuck down with no air gap between the floor and the dynamat, condensation could form in the air gap and lead to rust issues... :-k
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

RobTwin wrote: Wed Sep 18, 19 7:40 am I dont doubt it does a good job of reducing heat and noise inside the car but I've always been a bit sceptical about actually using it.
Our Polara has a one piece, almost transparent floor mat that covers both front foot wells and the tunnel. When we parked it after use, if we leave the mat in place, depending on the air temp in the garage, sometimes we can see condensation forms under the mat from the heat coming up thru the carpet.
What I'm worried about with Dynamat is if it's not fitted properly to the floor, ie stuck down with no air gap between the floor and the dynamat, condensation could form in the air gap and lead to rust issues... :-k
Yes that's pretty much always been my reservation. Including if it gets wet (convertible, or someone drops a drink etc) does it hold in the moisture? And if it does, as Dave said, it's difficult to remove
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here