Shoulder belts

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Shoulder belts

Post by Dave-R »

My 69 Plymouth B Body came with lap belts only.

I assume there are threaded holes for shoulder belts and clips under the headliner but I'm having trouble finding them by feeling with my fingers.

Anyone got a diagram showing the location of them?

Also has anyone got a pair of shoulder belts spare I could buy?

I have looked online but can only find expensive complete belt sets.
Pete

Re: Shoulder belts

Post by Pete »

You SHOULD be able to feel the hole - 7/16 UNF thread - near where the "B" Pillar would be on a Post car, it is quite obvious.

I fitted inertia's to the Charger, which is not standard, but makes life a lot easier - they are also a lot more comfortable than the original 1960's set up.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162968804563?c ... gI-yvD_BwE

postage is a bit of a killer

i have these. the metal loop is big enough to stick a Long Kangol style angled for comfort belt buckle and its plastic jacket through for easy set up,
a must on a 2 door hardtop or post car with the mount in the roof rail....if you want to keep your head in a crash....
work well with 1960s/70s Kangol reflex if you can find any.

also have full set of (4 generation (small child, large child, big adult, stumpy grandma) inertia reels for the rear, but you will need 2 MGB rear seatbelt wheel-tub mount adapters from Moss Europe to fit them so the reel doesn't hit the rear screen before you can get the bolt in.

if you drill your own holes and weld in a plate this is not an issue as you choose a position that is not designed only for small fixed belt top mount

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Matt

Post by Matt »

Might have some belts Dave will look later
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Thanks Matt.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Drew is looking into these for me.

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/3 ... B_p9En6ElQ

But currently the website says "Not available at this time".

But they would be ideal as you don't need all the clips and things the original stores away with.
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

We fitted a new complete set of 3 point belts to our Satellite. Managed to get hold of the zinc plated 'parking' plates that mount under the sun visors, found the threaded holes etc and got it all fitted.
Never used the should belts though!
:D
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Stu Twin wrote: Wed Mar 04, 20 1:34 pm We fitted a new complete set of 3 point belts to our Satellite. Managed to get hold of the zinc plated 'parking' plates that mount under the sun visors, found the threaded holes etc and got it all fitted.
We have tried but because of the position of the shoulder belt fixing in the roof, the angle the belt comes down at, towards your waist, the belt cuts across your neck and is quite uncomfortable.

A better solution would be like Pete says, fit an inertia reel version that's still mounted in the same hole in the roof but has the shoulder belt starting at a lower height :-k
morgan

Post by morgan »

RobTwin wrote: Wed Mar 04, 20 2:28 pm
Stu Twin wrote: Wed Mar 04, 20 1:34 pm We fitted a new complete set of 3 point belts to our Satellite. Managed to get hold of the zinc plated 'parking' plates that mount under the sun visors, found the threaded holes etc and got it all fitted.
We have tried but because of the position of the shoulder belt fixing in the roof, the angle the belt comes down at, towards your waist, the belt cuts across your neck and is quite uncomfortable.

A better solution would be like Pete says, fit an inertia reel version that's still mounted in the same hole in the roof but has the shoulder belt starting at a lower height :-k
Not following this - but would like to be clear as its something on my list. I've fitted inertia reel in the back. (shamefully, I DO have the 3pt in the front but only tend to use the laps :oops: ).
Mount an inertial reel on the floor, the loop in the top (where the shoulder belt is now) and the clicky by the centre console ? So the loop at the top is still at roofline height ? That still leaves the diagonal part of the belt going almost straight up doesnt it ?

I suppose it spoils the lines of the pillarless look a bit but it it keeps your head on seems a fair price.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

hence the drop links link i posted

Thus
https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/shop ... rdtop.html

if you drop the top loop of the belt to just above shoulder height the cross body strap misses your jugular and rides over the shoulder

the drop links will work with any standard, cheap or expensive belt that uses a spade type buckle, kangol and all kangol related or the square hole, ford cortina type buckle.

won't work with magnetic catch or airplane style becasue they won't fit through the loop

pin belt at real with bulldog clip
undo flying end mount at door pillar bottom there should be 2 bolt holes although many just mount reel and flying end on 1 bolt.

pull it through standard top mount, or cut top mount off with a hack saw/bolt cutters or dismantle belt totally to remove (not an easy undertaking) or stick standard top mount down side of seat near the reel. its not going to get in the way down there
pass flying end through drop link
bolt it back down at bottom of pillar
remove old top mount
replace with drop link
remove bulldog clip
enjoy...... Simples

ebay search (kangol, magnet, ase, bsrd, breed and key) seat belt add front or rear to your serach or fixed or inertia ..... covers most brands used in the UK and suppliers used by Chrysler from time to time

note fat wide red button belt buckle uses short spade and the square red PRESS button belt buckles work with a long spade (obvious if you look) other than that you can't go wrong

the buckles on thick steel wire plastic coated cable mounts 10-12 inch needed:- bolt the drivers side belt buckle eye to the passenger side rear foot well mount, and the passenger side belt buckle eye to the drivers side rear footwell mount and have them cross the tunnel to their respective seats. saves bending the things too far

NOS 70s belts still in plastic bags and boxes pop up regularly on ebay for about 20-30 quid. combined with drop links work well enough...still in bag no UV degradation...all good

mountings are standard across the world

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

Makes sense. Like that, I think its on the list now.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

I saw an article recently in a Mopar Muscle mag where they fitted an inertia belt in the front of a Dart (i think) and that had something like the 'droplink' that Dave mentioned, to lower the point at where the shoulder belt starts, which makes it much more useable.

I'll dig the article out and post it here. I know there's some small print somewhere that says we're not sposed to reproduce and post magazine articles on here but as the mag has already been shut down i dont think we'd be breaking any rules :-k
Blue

Post by Blue »

Could do with some proper belts for the Barracuda so also paying attention...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

yes Rob, interested in that as well.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Trying to get my head around all this and not doing well. I am going to have to do some research and figure it out somehow. :scratch: