Shoulder belts

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Re: Shoulder belts

Post by Dave999 »

These (see link below) were used on Aussie valiant cars imported to the UK if the customer asked for inertia reel. they took out the fixed belts and put these in at the point of commissioning the car. i.e uk radio, fill the battery with acid that kinda thing .
they had the drop link on chargers, but you'd be hard pushed to find any UK car that needed one as the 2 door pillarless hard top concept wasn't that popular. jensen maybe...ford capri??

KANGOL was an ANGora wool place, made jumpers and coats/jackets in cumbria, K for Knitting ANG for angora OL for WoOL
they got into safety equipment made seat belts for cars and planes, golf clothes and Strange hats beloved by US rappers....they were then subsumed into numerous other companies (hence the list of brands in the search in my post above), including an american one. hence belts with kangol DNA ended up in 70s chryslers here and elsewhere there are similarities with US chrysler belts, chrylser had its own buckles ...they were a world leader in safety equipment for passenger vehicle/ road use until the 90s a case study of when we were good at making stuff

now the only operating bit is owned by sports direct

nice ish pair
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kangol-Refle ... SwoeVeE2EZ

New old stock kangol, reflex seem to go for £300+ a pair, their use in high end cars jags, RR, Stags etc has an impact although if you wait long enough .....i found a set on shpock for £80.

they will eventually replace the aussie plastic ones i have

later KANGOL-ISH versions with plastic reel case £20-40

as they will be hidden in the gap between pillar and seat base it makes no odds really.

I will dig in my seatbelt pile at the weekend and put up for sale what i don't need i have filing cabinet draw full of seat belt tat.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Dave

Any old belt with a buckle and matching floor mount clasp + the drop links from my link

Job done

you will already have the screws and mounting hardware if you have fixed belts

what i'm getting at is you can have a British standard belt on a Aussie standard drop link
for way less than $300 + import for the states

if your car was imported in 1969 and warwick wright listened to your request for inertia reel belts it would have ended up with locally produced belts

Dave
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Hope these are of some use Dave...

(the 69 Plymouth should already have the necessary fixings up behind the headlining so you should be able to ignore the info relating to fixing those anchor plates)
Attachments
seatbelt-1.jpg
seatbelt-1.jpg (169.7 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-2.jpg
seatbelt-2.jpg (189.99 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-3.jpg
seatbelt-3.jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-4.jpg
seatbelt-4.jpg (157.53 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-5.jpg
seatbelt-5.jpg (143.28 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-6.jpg
seatbelt-6.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
seatbelt-7.jpg
seatbelt-7.jpg (150.65 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
morgan

Post by morgan »

Interesting stuff. Now I think I am ahead of the game here - my Charger has the shoulder belts already, therefore presumably has the anchor point already available. Theory says, remove the shoulder belt, bolt the drop in place and boom - jobs a good 'un. (swap the laps for inertia and pinger obviously, but the hard bit is done)
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

RobTwin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 20 1:14 pm Hope these are of some use Dave...

(the 69 Plymouth should already have the necessary fixings up behind the headlining so you should be able to ignore the info relating to fixing those anchor plates)
Those look like the same ones as "Seat Belts Plus" sell. Which are on back order from them because the inertia bits are made in China and shipping from there is blocked due to the virus. :-k
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

LOOKS LIKE I AM SORTED! :thumbright:

Thanks for the help guys. :salute:
kma176

Post by kma176 »

First time I sorted my belts to keep the pillarless lines I welded a top mounted & strengthener for the inertia belt at the front of the of the rear 1/4- if your tall it might be tight across the shoulder for me fine as I'm only a short arse it was fine just modified the trim to accept it.
I have only stuck with inertia lap belts in mine this time but might change later.
These people FDTS Ltd in Byfleet can make your belts in any colour, style ,width and with any buckle design you might want .They also have some of the smallest inertia units I've ever seen so they will fit into the plastic housings that come with the original belts !!
They just made mine using the original buckles and tongues did a great job. Small family business .
Speak to Sue on 01932 342043 she's really helpful .
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Yesterday I installed one of the seat belts Drew got for me.

Like everything these days it was not quite as straight forward as the instructions that came with it suggested.

It came with a lot of hardware for cars that never had seat belt provision at all and the instructions reflect that.

However when it came to mounting the inertia reel to the Plymouths standard floor mount it wasn't going to work.

The answer was pretty simple. I just had to twist the top mount and lap catch around on the belt so I could mount the inertia reel the opposite way around to the way it comes.

Fit is OK except in two areas:

First is the short buckle strap that mounts to the driveshaft tunnel being a bit to short. The stock mounting holes are way back so unless the seat is way back the buckle is behind the seat. I have long legs so my seat has to be back anyway. But a shorter person would have to weld in one of the supplied plates to provide a mounting point further forward.

Second is the old problem of the shoulder belt riding too high on the shoulder and rubbing the neck. It needs one of those things Dave999 was talking about. Maybe when this virus thing dies down I will see about getting a pair.
Attachments
90700497.jpg
90700497.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
morgan

Post by morgan »

Nice. Exactly what I need to do (but likewise, with the Dave-drop-links - almost feels like a group buy).

Why are there huge-brown-furry-clown-slippers in the rear footwell ?

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

its a constant bug bear that. (not dave's slippers) but the fact that belts often come with the bits on the belt the wrong way round, deciduous, folding and pulling usually gets the buckles round the correct way. this is just sloppy manufacture as far as i can tell but 80% of them seem kinda wrong

the B pillar lower mount may well have 2 holes ....one for the reel. and one for the flying end of the belt...

you can use either or both or just one depending on how much you like tripping up people getting into the rear.

if you go for group buy on drop links lets find a Uk manufacturer and i'l provide one of mine to act as a pattern part

willing to lend out so you can try...i need to do a belt swap on the car, some parts will be available i just need to get my act together. all motivation to anything car related is none existent at the mo.

i just can't be arsed with anything other than sleeping...eating and thinking i should do something...i've got never get started itice....
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

morgan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 20 9:29 am Nice. Exactly what I need to do (but likewise, with the Dave-drop-links - almost feels like a group buy).

Why are there huge-brown-furry-clown-slippers in the rear footwell ?
That is the 5-foot stuffed Roadrunners feet that came with the car. :D

This is not a bad belt system for $215. Much cheaper than reproduction stuff.
Last edited by Dave-R on Mon Mar 23, 20 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Dave999 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 20 11:52 am its a constant bug bear that belts often come with the bits on the belt the wrong way round, .
The instructions clearly show the inertia reel installed the other way around so it was correct for the intended way but that is with the supplied floor brackets that bolt through the floor to a supplied brace.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I fitted 3 point harnesses in my 68 Satellite, with the shoulder belts going between the rear seat back and base to a new bracket on the rear axle floor hump. I used the factory mounting brackets for the lap belts. It does impinge on rear seat comfort a bit, but that's just an excuse to avoid passengers.

Much more comfortable than the factory shoulder belts in my Coronet, which cut across your neck, especially if you're a shortarse like me.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Adam wrote: Mon Mar 23, 20 1:04 pm I fitted 3 point harnesses in my 68 Satellite, with the shoulder belts going between the rear seat back and base to a new bracket on the rear axle floor hump. I used the factory mounting brackets for the lap belts. It does impinge on rear seat comfort a bit, but that's just an excuse to avoid passengers.

Much more comfortable than the factory shoulder belts in my Coronet, which cut across your neck, especially if you're a shortarse like me.
I wouldn't call you a short arse Bilbo - I mean ADAM! :D
morgan

Post by morgan »

Did anyone do anything with ordering drop-links in the end ?
I've been having a trawl and seems Dave999 Australian angle is the easiest (short of having them made).