Door lock

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Door lock

Post by Stu »

Got a door that won’t lock / unlock from the outside, works fine on the lever from the inside (E body)

Before I start dismantling and investigating, any ideas what the likelihood is of it being fixable without replacing the barrel is? Never messed with a locking mechanism, so no idea if it could be something within the door or not.

Thanks
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Re: Door lock

Post by Dave999 »

yeah I've had this issue.

lock mechanism sits on inside of door by the striker

a linkage runs from the handle on the outside to the mechanism and basically pulls the latch..this linkage also has a rod with some felt stuck to it that runs to the inner door pull handle..... rarely goes wrong

it is stopped from being able to do that by the LOCK bit
the lock bit is triggered by 2 linkages.... 1 from the Dingger on the inside halfway along the door top
and one from a linkage attached to the offset lever bolted to the end of the lock barrel they may join or they may not but they both act on the same lever-y bit on the mechanism

that bit needs to be pulled far enough in order to LOCK the door. if it isn't far enough it just gets pushed back when you pull the outer handle and the door seems to be unlocked. i.e your action to lock the door didn't pull the mechanics in the lock far enough to work properly

two or 3 issues with the kinda handle used on challenger cuda and Aussie 71-82 Chrysler

1) the C shaped clamp the holds the outer handle in the door can be positioned either upside down or just positioned wrong.. so it interferes with the locking and unlocking action. it has various cut-outs to allow the linkages to move. common sense says you align it totally parallel with the sides of the outer door handle.. well actually.... with some handles if you do that you get exactly this problem. bolt it on slightly squiffy and you may find it all works i can't remember if you cock it clockwise or anti clockwise slightly but 1 way or the other works and the other way makes the situation worse.

2) the other issue is really just bent linkages. either caused by the situation above or just because over the years they have flexed.. try and fix it by method one first

3) last but not least. the locking stuff on the lock may just be gummed up. from what i remember that little lever feels like it has an over centre spring in its mechanism in the lock. if its all gummed up with dust and grease.. i guess it can get stuck...

so make sure the handle clamp is on the right way up and make sure it clears every rod based linkage properly for the full line of travel.

the clamp is a C shaped pressed piece of steel one end of the C at the left side of the handle one end at the right with a Chrysler flange nut holding it onto a stud wound into the back side of the finger bucket for the handle

the C is the depth of the handle with some cut outs at either end to allow linkage connection and movement put it on at the twenty to two position not quarter to three.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS wedge your fingers into the handle to splay it open slightly if you withdraw it from the door.
its just too big for the hole when it is relaxed.

Dave
Blue

Post by Blue »

Most likely the link from the barrel to the lock has come off, or the arm on the barrel has broken off. Won’t know till you investigate.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes yes its an

7_

shaped thingo.

clips or bolts onto the end of the barrel.... coming off seems like a thing that could easily happen.... now why didn't i think of that
probably cos it didn' come off on mine :)
i heard the sound of hoofs thumping the road and blow me if it wasn't a herd of zebra

think mine bolts on....the clippy ones are used on roof racks... have a vague recollection of both types

loktite the weaker stuff might be a plan
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks Gents, plenty to digest there. 👍

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

Remember having to change my lock barrels. Easy to figure out once you have the door panel off
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane
Stu

Post by Stu »

:thumbright: Hoping to get a look at the weekend.

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Turns out to be a missing latch link.

Cylinder operates fine, as does the latch locking lever.

Just need to try and find or fashion a link. :-k

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

is it in the bottom of the door. cant remember the retaining mechanism but have a feeling its either an offset end to the rod or some plastic press fit gubbins

Dave
Stu

Post by Stu »

No, long gone. Checked all round the inside of the door in case.

Have been offered a plastic clip, just need to figure out which side looks like which as it looks like they are directional. :thumbright:

Just trying to find the bar. I’ve had a look at the other side, but doesn’t look like I want to risk taking it out to get a pattern. Hopefully someone will have one sitting on a shelf somewhere. Cheap as chips online, other than the postage to get it here, which is 4 times as much as the little metal rod... [-( :lol:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i think it only goes on properly 1 way....related to the interference with the bracket that holds the handle on, i also have a recollection that you only find this out once everything is bolted back together

teeth sucking ensues and you do it all again...

i.e keep the window down and the door card off, for easy access when you eventually close the door for testing. it will need to be up for fiddling and fitting

Dave
Stu

Post by Stu »

:thumbright:

All sorted identifying the clip.

Main problem now is I don’t have the rod. :?

Still trying to find one on here and Facebook. It’s the one from the cylinder thats needed. :read2:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435