Brakes on a '68.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringo

Brakes on a '68.

Post by Gringo »

Anyone got any suggestions for a good brake set up on my '68 Charger? I want it to stop like a modern car (minus ABS!). I'm not looking to pop my eyeballs out... :shock:
The K-member packages that Alterkation do list different disc and caliper set ups. What's good and what's not? :?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

When you find out let me know , got the 4 corner SSBC disc set up on the Pit , my 8 year old daughters leccy scooter has better stopping power.
Prob not being fair to SSBC , but they sent the pads with the kit , might be better with another set of pads , as i think the ones in there are for race applications , although i did'nt specify this when i ordered the kit. :dontknow:

Heard the Wilwoods are prob the best to go for.

:thumbright:
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

I fitted SSBC disks on the front and left the 11" drums on the rear. The biggest difference is braking from speed, with the drums I never knew which way it would pull, sometimes to the left, sometimes right. The disk brakes don't fade like the drums and don't pull to one side, the hotter they get the better they are, just the opposite of the drums. Still no where near as good as modern brakes but much better than the drums. Good thing about the SSBC brakes is they use early (around '67) Mustang pads so replacements are very cheap.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gonna fit the 11 inch drums on the rear when the dana goes in , see if it helps , prob won't , cos the fronts don't lock up now.

:thumbright:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Have got SSBC's on the Coronet. Pretty good, but there is a limit to how quick you are going to stop a 3800lb vehicle.

I have got the lat models "C" body set up on th Charger and that has proved to be very good as well.

If you are going alterkation I think that most of the set ups offered are Mustang II based. Blue will be able to advise.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
morgan

Post by morgan »

Get adam to test them. He was great skidding mine round the car park at the pub ! ! :)

PS - Had mine on the rollers yesterday. Brakes are fine. So just the rear bias to sort now !
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Just trying to avoid any pant filling moments like I had with my old Aussie Charger! Discs or no discs, it did not stop well. Brake fade is the main thing I want to avoid. The Alterkation kits offer various discs (vented or not, 11" or bigger), so was trying to find out what the best set up is. I was planning discs on the rear anyway. Has anyone got any experience of trying different calipers? :?
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would not bother with discs on the back, undue complication for no benefit.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I use MoPar 10.75" discs. All completey stock MoPar parts.

I would never consider using discs on the back. Totally OTT and a waste of money. I have to reduce the pressure to the rear drums loads to stop them locking up anyway because they work so well on the rear. In particular with wide wheels.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Dave wrote: I have to reduce the pressure to the rear drums loads to stop them locking up anyway because they work so well on the rear. In particular with wide wheels.
Me too. The rear brakes are awesome.
My front discs dont fade at all - and my brakes are standard from-the-factory charger brakes. The rears are awesome though. Point is, in my experience Dave is right. rears dont need discs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Most of our cars don't get driven hard enough or often enough to need rear disks.

Still, it is nice to have them if they came from the factory. ;) :)

Most of the complication seems to be in getting an efficient hand brake system.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Both my chargers stop better than my volvo which has 4 wheel discs and ABS..the 72 has factory discs the 69 has 11" drums
The 69 will only do it first go though...after that you get fade and its unlikely to go straight.

I was thinking about the SSBC kit myself, for both the barracuda and the 69 charger, I'm a bit concerned that Adam says it's rubbish,:? which calipers did you get Adam?
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

There's nothing wrong with the stock disc set up,if it's all in good order. My heavy C stops on the dot every time. I see the aftermarket stuff as being for those that want to convert to disc or racers who want to lose weight.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I rebuilt the stock big drum manual braking set up on mine, and it stopped very well indeed...never had any scary moments ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The finish gantry at Santa Pod always spelled out the ampleness of drums on your car as you passed beneath it good Sir.