Front brake conversion

Moderator: Moderators

Kev

Post by Kev »

Back the adjusters under the LCA right out. Take the circlip out of the back t-bar mount. loosen the nut on the front of the LCA. Now if you are lucky and it was well greased up it will slide out of the back. If not you need the "special tool" that bolts tound the torsion bar and you can hammer it out. If you are not re using the old ones, clamp some mole grips round it and hammer it out. Any scratches or nicks in the metal of the T-bar can cause a failure.......New ones are handed, make sure you put them in the right sides. :thumbright: you might need to remove the exhaust to get enough clearance to pull them out. Also removing the bump stops can help.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Kev

Post by Kev »

If you are removing the spindles it will be a lot easier, but make sure the hex of the new bars goes in the same as the old ones, not one flat out :thumbright:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother Chris, but don't forget the L and R stamped on the end of the torsion bars, or you'll probably get only one "Boinngg" out of 'em! ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Pete

Post by Pete »

I undo the Strut rod and the LCA nut and use a pry bar between the "K" frame and the LCA to push the torsion bar out - no violence and no scratching :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

The methods mentioned have always worked for me, never had to get brutal to remove torsion bars.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”