Refurbishing chrome?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Refurbishing chrome?

Post by Anonymous »

Anyone recommend a good place for refurbishing my front Bumper/grille surround on the 70 Charger?
Its something I possibly wont do for a while, just trying to set my budget etc.
Is it expensive? may look at doing the rear bumper aswell :dontknow:
Alex

Post by Alex »

It's not cheap ! but the biggest problem is finding somewhere that can fit them in the vat !
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Its in resonable condition and will do for this year as I want it on the road for the nats!
That rear bumper is starting to look a lot better aswell thinking about it!!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Soft wire wool and a good chrome cleaner like Autosol will work wonders, you will be suprised how well they come back with a bit of love.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Spray it matt silver with a clearcoat with metalflake for that superStock look! :D
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Holly

Post by Holly »

Where did Will get his done?
Guy

Post by Guy »

I had my Barracuda's done at a place in Coventry(8 years ago) which is not too far from you. Mind you they were expensive both bumpers with the rear overriders came to ?470 but the crome work was flawless pitty i had not noticed the rear bumper had a slight twist in it :cry: .
I am going to Coventry later and will try and get you their phone number, I know that their vats are big enough to get your bits in as they have done a 58 caddy front and rear bumper for a mate.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I had both bumpers 4 overrides and the gas cap done on my charger 4 years ago and they still look great all for the price of ?250. they are in southend on sea they are called HOCKLEY and the phone number is
01702 614067
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

I've also used Hockley (after talking to Derek and seeing the work on his car) and they were cheap (?100 for a Charger rear bumper about two years ago) but after about six months the chrome started peeling off. After a moan they redid them and they are ok so far.
For comparison, London Chroming in the Old Kent Road quoted ?400+ for one bumper...
db

Post by db »

Only experience i have of rechroming was a load of bike bits i had ruined by a place that happily shut down shortly after!
They polished a chainguard so thin they wore a hole through it. When i tightened a bolt on one part a 1" circle of chrome twisted off like a washer & the rest then peeled off like sunburned skin. Any parts that had crevices such as spotwelded sections had rusted by the time i got them home cos they didn't flush the acid out properly! And it's not like they were cheap either!!!!
The moral is always go by someone elses recommendation and if you can get a test piece done 1st before you trust em wi summat that matters!
No-one will believe you...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've had work done by a company just outside Coventry (probably the same people that Guy went to). Their name is Marque Restore and they are on the Shilton Industrial Estate, Bulkington Road Coventry. The phone number is 024 7662 2225. I had one front Bumper done + two o/riders and the cost in 1998 was ?211.50. Six years on, the chrome is still looking good on the front of the pick-up.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Cheers guys!!
That has just cheered me up no end! :lol:
Just hope I dont run out of money soon!!
I AM gonna make the Nats! good or bad chrome! will let you know how it goes as I will call em in the next couple of days.
Thanks again