carbon fibre pannels

Moderator: Moderators

TrevD

carbon fibre pannels

Post by TrevD »

the apprentices i train were doing some composite materials training (carbon fibre) as the company i work for own a composite manufacturing facility. the chap who was doing thew training was after something for the lads to use as a mould so i offered the use of one of the wing moulds for my dart (other one will be used next week :D ) this is how it looks in is vacummed state. should be lighter and stronger than a glass fibre pannel. al i need to do now is get the doors, bonnet and boot done. we will remove it from the mould monday so fingers crossed.
too much is never enough
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Can they do whole bodyshells? :D
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

the facility we own probably could (i havnt asked yet :D ) but for now it looks like i will be getting some super light weight pannels for nothing (cant get cheaper than that) all i need to do is supply the moulds :thumbright: , has anyone got a mould for a dart bonnet i can borrow :D i already have moulds for wings and doors.
will post pics of the finished wing monday (wont be out of the mould till then.
too much is never enough
Guy

Post by Guy »

They will be no good Trev what you will have to do is have another couple done and give me those ;)
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

Guy im not sure how good these will be, the moulds could do with some repair work but i didnt have time, if i dont use them your welcome to them.
too much is never enough
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

ok this is the first skin, needs some work but boy is it light :D i recon when complete will be less than 350g (does anyone know what a stock steel wing weighs (or for that matter a glass fibre one) im looking to do all removable pannels on the dart this way so should save a bit of weight i hope.
too much is never enough
Guy

Post by Guy »

Looking good Trev :thumbright:
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

its not looking bad, i need to do some work on the mould as i intend to use these withoput any paint so every blemish in the mould needs to be removed (this one shows some slight crazing if you look realy closely) also i need to perfect the layup to ensure all the fibres run the same way (not to look good but for strength) hope to get the other parts of it sorted soon (head lamp pannel and support bit that bolts it on)
too much is never enough
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Supercool! 8-) Don't show Blue, he'll want all his panels doing for that extra weight save! :lol:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

If they fit a '67 Dart I'd DEFINATELY be up for a pair :thumbright: :thumbright:

Finish not important...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have a Dart 6 pack hood you can take a mould off should you so wish :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Has to be the way to go.... We had a guy here in Royston many moons ago do CF stuff.... But he went off to Oz! Well, he was from there originally! :?
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

Pete, i think they should firt your dart, its that front end im putting on mine so i hope they do, as yet its just the skin but the rest should be done soon, ive got the bug :D as for the bonnet, ive never produced a mould before but it might be worth a try, if it all goes well i might even be able to do a complete 1 piece front end that you can lift with 1 hand.
too much is never enough
Pete

Post by Pete »

Sounds like a plan, please step in to my orofice :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

latil wrote:Can they do whole bodyshells? :D
Yes but you don't want to pay that much! I don't know anyone who has an autoclave that size.

Was this done by RIFT (VARTM) moulding Trev? i.e. 1 bar, vacuum infused. Or was this prepreg?