Spark plugs for non-performance 383

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Spark plugs for non-performance 383

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

Does anyone know what (and is there a chart anywhere on the web) for what plugs to put in a 383 two barrel ?

We have a set of Autolite 75's (which I believe you can't get anymore), but topics I have seen in other forums (Moparts) talk about Autolite 85's, but these appear to be for performance engines.

Obviously not looking for the latest most expensive super plug, just something new for a 224,000 mile engine.

Thanks.

ATB
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Just stick some Champions in there then.
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

Those J-14Y plugs don't have an 'R' in the number, so they don't have the inbuilt resistor like all the modern equivalents do.

Is there any advantage in searching out the original spec non-resistor plugs?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

No.

Unless you are a racer and want a little more power in the spark.

But if you have any sense you would use NGKs or Denso plugs in everything you own.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

These plugs were fine back in the day when we had the 4/5 star fuels , THERE TOO HOT TO BE USED WITH THE FUELS TODAY.

:roll:
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

I always found success with the NGK's, would try something like a B8ES
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

mopar_mark wrote:I always found success with the NGK's, would try something like a B8ES
Mostly do motorway driving in the Pit so use the NGK7s , can get away with the #6s when poodling around & the #8/9 when on the bottle.

Anyone running a hottor plug than a #9 (champion) will probably notice the insulator nose cracked/spotted & the heat mark on ground strap will be white & pretty close to the threads on base of plug ..................as said , was ok back in the day , simple fix will be to drop to a lower heat range plug , too low & the plug may foul , a lot better than destroying the motor.

Above is based on a stock motor with stock timing.

Plugs are cheap.........

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

mopar_mark wrote:I always found success with the NGK's, would try something like a B8ES
Hi Mark,

Is that the correct part number ? And readily obtainable ?

Too hot ? Too cold ?

It's a nightmare.

I think we should have a plug poll.... :?

All the best
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sandy , the BP8ES are too cold for you're 383 , there also used on the aftermarket heads.

You want an NGK #6 , not sure on the part# for the iron heads.

Those plugs of yours are too hot , this is the reason the insulator nose is cracked.