Importing

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

if i was shelling out 10,000 cash for a car i had not seen, i would get myself a flight over there and take a look, flight and accomodation can only run to 1000, or go for a week and have a look at several cars.
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Bryan wrote:if i was shelling out 10,000 cash for a car i had not seen, i would get myself a flight over there and take a look, flight and accomodation can only run to 1000, or go for a week and have a look at several cars.

Just what my dad said so looks like on getting on a flight :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I shelled out 15k on the strength of a few phone calls. Car came back exacly as described. Brave / stupid? Take your pick.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I've just brought over my second toy on photos alone.
Again... Brave ? Stupid?
If you know the car you want, and know where they rust etc., then pics should help a great deal.
By all means go over there and take a look / have a holiday, buy it and pay the money....... still doesn't mean that thats the vehicle that is gonna turn up (unless you take it to the docks yourself of course :lol: )
Or that the interior or same engine is gonne be in it..... running.

There are 1 or 2 horror stories out there, but 99% of transactions usually come thru ok. I wouldn't worry too much if you are thinking of just having photos sent. Most of the purchases nowadays are made this way :read2:

Good luck anyway :thumbright:

Your gonna need it :drwho:

Just Kiddin' :D
Of All The Senses, The Common One Is The Most Rare !!

MMA/750
ronfenton

Post by ronfenton »

74challenger318 wrote:
guy whitwam wrote:.They sorted out the BTI for me as well ,so no import duty and only 5% vat ,a huge saving!!

Ron just imported a car for me asked him about the vat and duty thing on classic rare cars, he said they had dropped that now :( ,

they only made 1163 of these in 1958 and only a dozen or so known to exist.

Paul.
Hi Paul

A bit of a mis-understanding here. They haven't "dropped" it but the revenue are considering an appeal is what the situation is.

What is definite is that the car has to be complete in it's original format i.e. unmodified. That was a tad difficult with your car with the engine being out in bits!! :D :D

cheers, Ron
ronfenton

Post by ronfenton »

Another point for the OP to consider is if the car is a runner or non runner as many transport companies will not collect non runners or add a hefty surcharge.

The same goes for shipping so you need to clarify this.

Cheers, Ron
morgan

Post by morgan »

Alternatively (just to play devils advocate) wait for the right car to turn up in the uk. I went through this exact same loop that you are in - car on ebay look awfully tempting...those photos sure are shiney...

Bottom line is you are looking at a lot of expense, hassle, administration and inspections for something that may be a basket case when it arrives - thats assuming you dont end up wiring money to nigeria by accident !

OR - you could wait for the right uk car to turn up. You can look them over top to bottom, take a friend, drag it back on a low loader if you want. The import/register/first-mot will have happened at some point, so first hurdle is done with... Be sensible, there are ways to save money. Look for a non-runner or a small-block car - they are a bit cheaper. Get someting basically complete ( trim etc )- some of the bits are a devil to find.

Just speaking the other side. :) Bottom line is that its up to you. You'll get there. I was just pointing out that whilst importing can be great fun and very successful, its not like the car model you are looking for is unknown or cheap in the USA either. In fact many of the best are over here already !!
The trouble you face is what has been said already - not many cheap gen2 chargers.

Good luck - keep us posted. :thumbright:
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Thanks for all this great advice but as I'm finding that on a 10k budget there is not much. loads of rotten charger for $5000 or cars that look like show winner for $25,000. I will keep looking and keep you posted.
Again thanks
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

$25k wont buy you a show winner mate, I'm telling you that now. The vast majority of show winners over here have had twice that spent on them at least, in pounds not dollars.

have a look at texastoybox.com you could do a lot worse than dealing with Ray Woolfe. He is a straight up guy and his son Ryan will trailer the car to Houston to get the car shipped for $500. He has a lot of decent mopes in stock always, to suit a wide range of pocketses (in the words of Gollum).
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Clivey wrote:$25k wont buy you a show winner mate, I'm telling you that now. The vast majority of show winners over here have had twice that spent on them at least, in pounds not dollars.

have a look at texastoybox.com you could do a lot worse than dealing with Ray Woolfe. He is a straight up guy and his son Ryan will trailer the car to Houston to get the car shipped for $500. He has a lot of decent mopes in stock always, to suit a wide range of pocketses (in the words of Gollum).

For 25k usd you would get a very nice charger anyway its 25k me ant got so the budget charger search goes on. Just spoke to Ray a TTB yyyeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaa he sounds like a real texas cow boy :thumbright: he will have a look and get back to me.Thanks Clivey

So fare i have found a good solid 383 car 1968 it was used for drag racing has been tubed out engine bay cut out and no engine just a good solid car with a 8 3/4 guy wants $7000 dollars :? I'm not sure there is nothing in it just Alu panels has grill and lights. Needs engine ,G Box ,ahhhhh every thing else. I do what to race the car (street / strip)so alu panels is ok

No BTI i think on tubed rear and cage

So looks like I'm not taking any good advise i have had from you guys.
thinking of Buying a car on some picture of coke can on bonnet and a few calls.
With none of the hard to find little trims ect.
I have offered him 6k but he want 7k

when i price it all up I'm back to where i started find a ruff car in the uk : :? :? :? :?
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

:thumbright:
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

just to clarify the BTI thing - you now have a decent chance of getting the low rate BTI if your car is pre 1971 and unmodified (or at least looks unmodified)?

My problem is the stuff I like never seems to turn up in the UK at all, or at least, so infrequently Bananarama! and miss. Like if I have the money, no cars. If there are cars, I have no money...

I'm planning on treating myself once my business is paying me a wage and the difference between 5% and "10% + 20%" is a heck of a difference.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

all good fun thanks for all the advice

:thumbright: