Non Mopar wheel stud problem

Moderator: Moderators

Rebel

Non Mopar wheel stud problem

Post by Rebel »

Just had a wheel bolt shear off on a 5 stud front wheel drive car. Too late to do anything with it tonight and need the car tomorrow, is it ok to drive with 4 bolts holding the wheel on or not?

TIA
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

I saw a car about a month ago 4 stud wheels , but only had 3 lugs each on all 4 wheels .................I saw it again last week, still had the wheels on,but get it fixed asap :thumbright:
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

yes as long as the rest are tight, don't go & rag it about though !
I wouldn't be frightened of that but neither would I be doing 80 in it
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Good enough for me, Only need to do 55 ish in it. as long as it gets me to work and back.

Thanks Drew and Andy :thumbright:
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Well then, that was an experience not to be repeated, got to work ok and headed for home ok, never made it though. about a mile from home there was a loud metal on metal clonking and the steering went all to hell. When I pulled over to check it, I found out that another three bolts had sheared off, one of them was lying in the road next to the car. Managed to find someone with a dolly to take the car home.

Lucky escape for the night though, the wheel stayed on with one bolt to get it on and off the dolly and then into the drive at a snails pace. Think I'll order a complete set of replacement bolts,just incase now though.

The only damage seems to be a bit of scuffing on the brake caliper and a couple of chips on the wheel itself. Never had a wheel bolt shear off before, nevermind 4 off them go.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Rebel wrote:Well then, that was an experience not to be repeated, got to work ok and headed for home ok, never made it though. about a mile from home there was a loud metal on metal clonking and the steering went all to hell. When I pulled over to check it, I found out that another three bolts had sheared off, one of them was lying in the road next to the car. Managed to find someone with a dolly to take the car home.

Lucky escape for the night though, the wheel stayed on with one bolt to get it on and off the dolly and then into the drive at a snails pace. Think I'll order a complete set of replacement bolts,just incase now though.

The only damage seems to be a bit of scuffing on the brake caliper and a couple of chips on the wheel itself. Never had a wheel bolt shear off before, nevermind 4 off them go.

OMG and we mislead you sorry about that ,glad nothing really bad happened.....just wondering what kind of car and how many miles?

Again sorry for not telling you to fix it right away I have gotten away with worse :oops:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Drew, no need to feel bad about your advice though, at the end of the day it was my choice to drive it and to be fair it was all ok until a mile from home, I did drive it carefully and stayed off the main roads just incase some thing happened. No real harm done though, the wheel didn't actually come off, looked a bit weird flopping aound when reversing in to the drive though, lol.

It's an Alfa Romeo 166 with 105,000 miles on it.

Just one of those things I suppose, the good news is that I eventually got home with no harm to me and only a scuffed brake caliper and wheel :thumbright:
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf