Installing Wheelie Bars

Moderator: Moderators

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Pete.
I'm getting very jealous of your toys !!!!
I can feel the drag demons in my head telling me to race again ( never run a car though !)
Good luck if you make it to the pod Saturday. I was hoping to drive up for a nose but got to work now
Have fun
Gary :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
db

Post by db »

Clivey wrote:
db wrote:All rod-end mounted chassis components are designed to be mounted with bolts in the 'shear' position.
Sorry but I disagree with you Clive (though I know I'm about to get shot down in flames ;) )Bolts ARE designed to be used this way aswell. They have a shear rating (which obviously will be less than the compression rating), you just have to ensure your application doesnt exceed this.

?

Mate, of course bolts have a shear rating, but where a bolt is used in a horizontal (for want of a better expression) position, the bolt in full preload puts a compressive force between two surfaces and it is THAT clamping force between the two surfaces which you rely on to resist shear - not the bolt alone. Bolts arent designed for that.

I could bore you to tears about bolted connections mate. Really. :lol:
You know what mate, you couldn't- I could listen to this crap all day :D
Nicely explained ta- so providing your strut/chassis member/ whatever is clamped between two plates and the bolt goes through the lot, it's still compressive force NOT shear that's acting on the bolt.
My rear end is way o.t.t. for my application but it does get a lot of attention :D
Rob- those slo-mo clips give a good idea of the stresses these cars are under. Trying to control that kind of power must be quite a challenge!

Fascinating thread this Pete :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

here ya go......

http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/ ... spx?sday=2

Just take it easy, build things up slowly, everyone will expect it to run in the 9's straight off, dissapoint them ;) ...and let us know you got on?

Les
Last edited by Les Szabo on Thu Oct 11, 12 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Les, fingers crossed.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete.S

Post by Pete.S »

if you've have 60" inch bars and dont mind them being that long, then just just them, the longer the wheelie bar the less weight it will take off the tyre.

Just don't run them too high as they will bend in half lol.

nyloc bolts are fine on wheelies bars, every race cars i have worked on has used them and all have been built by top chassis builders, with using such a long bar, 60%+ of the force is taken by the flex in the bar hence the better weight on the rear tire.

When installing, deflat the tyre to half flat, jack front end up 6 (or Ya can go a little more if wanted but not too high) and bingo there is you install height.

sorry if any of that has been mentioned already couldnt be bothered ready most of it :P

:D
Last edited by Pete.S on Sat Nov 24, 12 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Pete S. Useful info. :thumbright:

Until I have the performance issues ironed out I will not be needing them anyway :roll:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Pete.S

Post by Pete.S »

Pete wrote:Thanks Pete S. Useful info. :thumbright:

Until I have the performance issues ironed out I will not be needing them anyway :roll:

:thumbright:
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Pete.S wrote:if you've have 60" inch bars and dont mind them being that long, then just just them, the longer the wheelie bar the less weight it will take off the tyre.

Just don't run them too high as they will bend in half lol.

nyloc bolts are fine on wheelies bars, every race cars i have worked on has used them and all have been built by top chassis builders, with using such a long bar, 60%+ of the force is taken by the flex in the bar hence the better weight on the rear tire.

when installing, adjust everything to half way, deflat the tyre to half flat, jack front end up 6 (or Ya can go a little more if wanted but not too high) and bingo there is you install height.

sorry if any of that has been mentioned already couldnt be bothered ready most of it :P

:D

good info :thumbright:
Pete

Post by Pete »

THat is also the reason I went with 60" ones!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Pete.S

Post by Pete.S »

If you've got a spare few minutes one day Pete send me over all your rear shock details.